Japanese festival indentification

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
I don't know what a "quora" is, but more clues would be desirable. The supplied photo gives us a couple of men carrying paper lanterns, and a figure wearing antique armor on horseback. That could fit any number of Japanese cultural traditions.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The event is the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto.

The costume appears to be, as far as I can see, a Kyoto court outfit. The person on horseback is wearing white makeup, which was worn by both men and women.

I don't know what the hat is called, but it appears to be one of these:

Sep 2016
Australia
I don't know what a "quora" is, but more clues would be desirable. The supplied photo gives us a couple of men carrying paper lanterns, and a figure wearing antique armor on horseback. That could fit any number of Japanese cultural traditions.
Thanks for replying Asherman. Quora is simply just better yahoo answers. I tried contacting the photgrapher and people in the comments but to no avail, it was posted a year ago.

What I am intrigued about in this photo especially is the costume of the rider on the horse. In a much more defined picture i can tell that the woman(?) on the horse is not wearing armour but a orange robe with flower patterns. The headwear is actually a straw hat with two feathers protruding from the top.

I'm not sure if it helps but it is definitely a Shinto ritual as evident by the tomoe symbol on the men.

I will dig up more later.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Naomassa ... what clues led you to identify the event as Gion Matsuri?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
colorful and loose cloth, more like a female. and the face was painted like that. while the two boys who hold the laterns got no painting on their faces. so the rider is more like representing a spirit, a creature, not a human.
also, note it was clearly held in a hot day.

unlikely to be a hunter with the custom, a hunter with that kind of uniform cannot even get on the back of the horse with his outer trousers made by almost one piece of fur. apparently the fur protects the hunter from the tree branch in forest, and the hunter would most likely to keep his feet on the ground, not on horses.

why not posting the original quora link?

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Naomassa ... what clues led you to identify the event as Gion Matsuri?
I looked up the original thread where the picture was posted. The thread writer indicated that the picture was taken in Kyoto.

Once I knew that, the festival can easily be identified from the two crests on the lanterns.