Japanese Imjin War desertion

Jun 2017
Algeria
In a thread dating June 2016 on Imjin War, Reptilian Shapeshifter Haakbus posted:

Many Japanese did defect to the Korean side during the war.
I believe, but, are citations available on this? I ask about both 'defection; and 'desertion'.

In language of Japanese, English, French, and Arabic are OK for me, but, why is there a thinking that the source will be in Korean language.

Jun 2017
Algeria
OP question is legitimate. 'Reptilian shapeshifter' comes from the title I see on Haakbus profile. At least that is what I see in June 2016. This is the post:

http://historum.com/asian-history/113857-sexism-during-joseon-dynasty.html

If profile title change, I don't know. I did not see Haakbus recent profile, but 'Reptilian shapeshifter' is what below Haakbus in that old psot. I write for jest in regards the specific person I inquire to.

Maybe it some hack. No harm intended.

Nov 2017
United States
why not just send him a private message instead??? wouldnt that be a lot quicker? lol

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
In a thread dating June 2016 on Imjin War, Reptilian Shapeshifter Haakbus posted:

I believe, but, are citations available on this? I ask about both 'defection; and 'desertion'.

In language of Japanese, English, French, and Arabic are OK for me, but, why is there a thinking that the source will be in Korean language.
Yes, some Japanese defected to the Koreans. Most of those defectors were simple peasants who were forced by the daimyo to come to Korea. Apparently, there was a conspiracy in the Japanese camp to cause a mutiny, as admiral Yi notes on February the 16th 1596. Main reasons for defection was the harsh treatment of the Japanese soldiers by their own officers. If we choose to believe a captured Japanese soldier named Magoshichi, then the number of Japanese deserts really rises, for example according to Magoshichi, 3,000 men defected from the ranks of Chosokabe Motochika alone.
(Turnbull, Japan's Korean War, 1592-1598, p. 166-167)

Jun 2017
Algeria
Yes, some Japanese defected to the Koreans. Most of those defectors were simple peasants who were forced by the daimyo to come to Korea. Apparently, there was a conspiracy in the Japanese camp to cause a mutiny, as admiral Yi notes on February the 16th 1596. Main reasons for defection was the harsh treatment of the Japanese soldiers by their own officers. If we choose to believe a captured Japanese soldier named Magoshichi, then the number of Japanese deserts really rises, for example according to Magoshichi, 3,000 men defected from the ranks of Chosokabe Motochika alone.
(Turnbull, Japan's Korean War, 1592-1598, p. 166-167)
Thank you.

'Peasant'? So, not soldier? Only 'samurai' can carry sword on Toyotomi Era, right?

Chosokabe adopt some Neo-Confucius before war. On coincidence desertion with his people in Neo-Confucian Joseon state? Thoughts?

why not just send him a private message instead??? wouldnt that be a lot quicker? lol
Not know of the how. And answerer someone else. And conversation move else. Again, no harm intended. BTW. Saw profile earlier tonight earlier an title still in the in use.

But focus Imjin War.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Thank you.

'Peasant'? So, not soldier? Only 'samurai' can carry sword on Toyotomi Era, right?
Yes. Peasants who were forced to come to Korea to serve as ordinary soldiers and/or as laborers. The wajo didn't build themselves, and much of the work was done by the Japanese, not by captured Koreans.