Jeanne d'Arc, truth or myth?

Apr 2015
Italy
where can i find a good and balanced book to read about the history of jeanne d'arc?
i've known her since the school time, but ignored all the actual details of her story. I've found a lesson online pretty recently and hearing about her story with a more adult insight so many things about her feel like to be too good to be true, almost to the point her whole story feels like a well tailored myth more than actual historical truth.
A peasant, learning to ride a warhorse in full armor in a matter of weeks, a skill that requires actual knights years to master. A woman leading an army into battle? An illiterate peasant able to debate with theologians on their level during a trial?
I'm aware there are a lot of historical sources concerning her that allegedly confirm her story. So what's the best book to read on the subject, possibly presenting both the facts and the doubts concerning her story?
and what do you think of her?

Mar 2019
Kansas
where can i find a good and balanced book to read about the history of jeanne d'arc?
i've known her since the school time, but ignored all the actual details of her story. I've found a lesson online pretty recently and hearing about her story with a more adult insight so many things about her feel like to be too good to be true, almost to the point her whole story feels like a well tailored myth more than actual historical truth.
A peasant, learning to ride a warhorse in full armor in a matter of weeks, a skill that requires actual knights years to master. A woman leading an army into battle? An illiterate peasant able to debate with theologians on their level during a trial?
I'm aware there are a lot of historical sources concerning her that allegedly confirm her story. So what's the best book to read on the subject, possibly presenting both the facts and the doubts concerning her story?
and what do you think of her?
Here is a good overview of her life.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Juliet Barker is a respected historian of the late medieval west and her Conquest: The English Kingdom of France, 1417-1450 is an academic and readable study of the period. The focus is on the establishment and fall of the English kingdom in France, but Joan gets plenty of attention and is set well within her context. It has been years since I read it and I don't have the book with me right now, but as I recall Joan is argued here to be a propaganda figure for Charles VII, who tried to keep her away from actual fighting.

Jan 2019
Northumberland-England
I've just bought 'Joan of Arc' by Helen Castor. Castor is a respected historian and so far the book hasn't disappointed, although I'm only a little way into it!
Personally (I'm English by the way), I think she arrived in the nick of time for the French. Her raising of the siege of Orleans was a little fortunate as the English forces withdrew, not because of Joan, but because England's ally Burgundy, took the hump and pulled his troops away from the encounter, leaving the English with great holes in their siege lines. They too withdrew as Bedford needed his army elsewhere. The French of course hailed this as a huge victory.

May 2017
France
In this story,the legend is twinned with the reality.At the moment of her military successes,the brother of my ancester,Valentin Dupuy d Àlais, was the priest in chief of the benedictin abbey of La Charite sur Loire,near Nevers.As the place was occupied by the famous burgond mercenary,Perrinet de Gressart,the most part of the habitants collaborate with the British.To recuperate the place,Joan of Arc has written to the military place of Riom,in Auvergne,which owned several machines of war;and they have refused.The letter is exposed in the abbey.But when the priest Cauchon has formed in Rouen the special tribunal,La Charite has rapidly sent two ecclesiastic lawyers for condamning her to death.Cauchon didn t want to be presented as a muppet and exiged a perfect juridiction.One of the brothers of Valentin,Andre Dupuy de Durfort,has fought under the theoric comandment of Joan,but in reality, all the biggest décisions were taken by his superior,Poton de Xaintrailles.Joan of Arc was a symbol,a flag,but not the real chief.

Jul 2007
Australia
Not a fan - there is more to the story than meets they eye .
She was a figurehead only - when she went off on her own without support she fails as any sort of military leader.
Name me one biography written about her that was actually contemporary - not what was written after her death and especially after the rehabilitation trial.

Similar History Discussions