Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha, and Confucius - most successful during their lifetimes?

Feb 2019
Thrace
Who gained the most popularity and reached the greatest heights while they were still alive between these four revered teachers?

I would say the ranking would look like this:

1. Mohammad - Successful conqueror
2. Buddha - was offered the throne of Magadha and the most powerful Indian king became his follower
3. Confucius - Minister of Crime
4. Jesus - popular orator, leader of a relatively small sect.

Feb 2014
Miami
Jesús was seen as a madman in his lifetime and no one took Confucius work seriously until centuries after his death.

Mohammed was a warrior king and United his people under sword and the religion rapidly spread by the sword after his death. I think he is the most successful.

I don’t know enough about Buddha

Feb 2019
Thrace
Jesús was seen as a madman in his lifetime and no one took Confucius work seriously until centuries after his death.

Mohammed was a warrior king and United his people under sword and the religion rapidly spread by the sword after his death. I think he is the most successful.

I know it's wikipedia but:

"Eventually, he rose to the position of Minister of Crime."

"The Shiji stated that the neighboring Qi state was worried that Lu was becoming too powerful while Confucius was involved in the government of the Lu state."

"Confucius returned home to his native Lu when he was 68, after he was invited to do so by Ji Kangzi, the chief minister of Lu."

"During his return, Confucius sometimes acted as an advisor to several government officials in Lu, including Ji Kangzi, on matters including governance and crime."

This doesn't sound like someone not taken seriously.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Minister of Crime ? :lol::zany: Not sure a government position for a religious/spiritual leader is a measure of success

Anyway, there is the whole thing about no hard evidence for the existence of the Jesus character...... Christianity as a whole was more successful than all the others (so far) , but not sure it makes sense to compare religious/spiritual leaders in vastly different societies... How does a ministerial post in very populous China compare to a leadership role in the Arabian desert ???

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Muhammad. He united Arab tribes under his leadership and it is quite likely that he was the one that led the Muslim invasions of Persia and Palestine.

Feb 2016
Japan
Muhammad- invents religion, spreads it, is it’s prophet and leader, conquers vast swathes of territory, unites the Arab pagans, is recognised as a conquerer, has many wives and slaves.

Jesus- a renegade rabbi, more of a hippy “modern”(at the time) jew who had a cult following in his day... probably a Jim Jones or David Koresh type figure. Ignored by majority of Jews. Arrested and executed.

No contest.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire

Presumably, you're talking about Jesús of Catalonia, not Jesus of Nazareth.

Dec 2015
USA
I would say Jesus. Jesus following may have been small in his life ...but that said the followers of Jesus and those of the earliest Church days spread Christianity since the days of Jesus leading to the Christian religion spreading enough to become the most powerful and organized religion in the world. It started from Palestine and from there Christianity spread through the entire world. The church is over 1 billion strong today. Mark was said to spread Christianity to north Africa and that was in the first century. Philip the evangelist was said to bring Christianity to Ethiopia in the first century.

There are reports of Christians in Britain in the first century as well. Of course by the fourth century the powerful Roman empire would become a Christian led entity. It’s interesting that it did not take 500 years longer for example for a major empire or Kingdom to take on Christianity as its main religion. What if the Roman empire did not take on Christianity? Perhaps if that was the case the Christian religion would have a small following today ?

Last edited:
Feb 2016
Japan
I would say Jesus. Jesus following may have been small in his life ...but that said the followers of Jesus and those of the earliest Church days spread Christianity since the days of Jesus leading to the Christian religion spreading enough to become the most powerful and organized religion in the world. It started from Palestine and from there Christianity spread through the entire world. The church is over 1 billion strong today. Mark was said to spread Christianity to north Africa and that was in the first century. Philip the evangelist was said to bring Christianity to Ethiopia in the first century.

There are reports of Christians in Britain in the first century as well. Of course by the fourth century the powerful Roman empire would become a Christian led entity. It’s interesting that it did not take 500 years longer for example for a major empire or Kingdom to take on Christianity as its main religion. What if the Roman empire did not take on Christianity? Perhaps if that was the case the Christian religion would have a small following today ?
But that was NOT in his lifetime. Christianity didn’t take of fir quite some time after his death. Even immediately after his death his small following were more a sect of Judaism than anything. In his lifetime he put a few rabbis noses out of joint, and got himself crucified.... doesn’t compare to Muhammad’s life.

Similar History Discussions