Jewish cemeteries in Eastern Europe and the Muslim world

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Are Jewish cemeteries in Eastern Europe and the Muslim world generally still intact and well-preserved nowadays? Or have these cemeteries either been destroyed (by the Nazis during WWII, in the case of Europe) or become abandoned and neglected (thus causing them to decline) once the Jews who lived nearby were either murdered (in the Holocaust) or emigrated (for Holocaust survivors in Europe as well as Jews in the Muslim world)?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I recommend a visit to Prague old jewish cemetery ,
it is open for visitors and guided tours
to see it in the fog of the river late at night bring memories of the Golem
one can imagine Kafka strolling by

Old Jewish Cemetery | Židovské muzeum v Praze

Prague itself is a brilliant visit , a grand old town where the past and the present coexist in harmony
the many Cristal souvenir shops are rip of for tourist while the traffic police is channeling the spirit of the KGB and the Gestapo

Reactions: Futurist

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The local Jewish shop has rewritten the Golem story ,
from a early Frankenstein , the creation of a rabbi made of mud , breaking loose and going on a rampage
it was made into a kindly being protecting the community

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
In Hungary in the capital of course there are still well maintained and operating Jewish cemeteries as there is also a surviving community. The old cemeteries in the country-side mostly also exist, (i read around 1600 Jewish cemeteries known altogether in the country), but as there are no longer Jews in those places, their condition varies a lot, some totally abandoned, weedy, broken or fallen tombstones etc, while some others (around a third of it) are maintained more or less either by the local government or Jewish religious organizations. Especially those which are in smaller villages are in very bad condition.

This site documents the location of mostly abandoned Jewish cemeteries in worser conditions Főoldal - Izraelita Temetők

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In Hungary in the capital of course there are still well maintained and operating Jewish cemeteries as there is also a surviving community. The old cemeteries in the country-side mostly also exist, (i read around 1800 Jewish cemeteries altogether in the country), but as there are no longer Jews in those places, their condition varies a lot, some totally abandoned, weedy, broken or fallen tombstones etc, while some others are maintained more or less either by the local government or Jewish religious organizations.
Do you know what the situation in regards to Jewish cemeteries is outside of Hungary?

Also, Yes, I really do think that it's a good idea for local governments to take care of Jewish cemeteries in areas where there are no longer any Jews left. Otherwise, these cemeteries will be neglected and they are an important part of many regions' histories.

In addition, a bit off-topic, but do you think that a lot of Hungarian Jews in the countryside would have stayed there up to the present-day had they not been murdered in the Holocaust? Or do you think that a majority of Jews in the Hungarian countryside would have moved either to Budapest or to some other country (such as the US, Israel, Canada, Australia, or somewhere in Western Europe)?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Do you know what the situation in regards to Jewish cemeteries is outside of Hungary?

Also, Yes, I really do think that it's a good idea for local governments to take care of Jewish cemeteries in areas where there are no longer any Jews left. Otherwise, these cemeteries will be neglected and they are an important part of many regions' histories.

In addition, a bit off-topic, but do you think that a lot of Hungarian Jews in the countryside would have stayed there up to the present-day had they not been murdered in the Holocaust? Or do you think that a majority of Jews in the Hungarian countryside would have moved either to Budapest or to some other country (such as the US, Israel, Canada, Australia, or somewhere in Western Europe)?
I guess the situation is the same everywhere, if there is still a lively Jewish community, they are maintained in the major places. The villages are usually poor everywhere in Eastern Europe (unless they turn to be a suburb of a nearby major city), so I imagine most of the Jewish cemeteries there are in ruinous and abandoned condition as there can be more urgent needs in those places. One exception can be if for example a famous Jewish rabbi was buried there (for example a hasid wonderrabbi), then even today there can be foreign hasids going there for pilgrimage, still maintaining the cemetery despite no longer existing local Jewish community there. for example Footsteps of the wonder rabbis - Jewish Cemetery, Olaszliszka

There is a general trend of declining and aging population in the villages because agriculture needs less and less workforce (or it is simply no longer economical, sometimes cheaper to import agricultural porducts than to produce them locally), younger and more mobile people move away for better opportunities, and then the shrinking population needs also fewer people working in their service (i.e. less and less shops etc). So most of the Jews of the countryside would also migrate away from those areas to places with more work opportunity, probably in an even higher ratio, since they themselves rather worked in the service sectors of the villages, not in the primary agricultural production.

Last edited:

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
There’s a Jewish shrine in Al Qosh in Iraq. Otherwise, people will point out to you the old Jewish neighborhood in some cities but you don’t really see any signs of it.