Jim Crow laws

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Right, the map shows 14 states in yellow that repealed in the 1950s or 1960s. All are northern, except for the last to repeal which was a border state. Not sure how you are misreading it.
Please re-read my last sentence in the post that you quoted here:

By "Northern," I meant up to Iowa and Minnesota. The states west of that would be considered Western, not Northern.
In other words, Iowa, Minnesota, and the US states east of those are Northern--unless they're former slave states, in which case, they're Southern.

All US states west of Iowa and Minnesota are Western--with the possible exception of Oklahoma and/or Texas--which could be considered either Southern or Western.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Northern United States - Wikipedia

Out of the Northern US states on the map above, only one or two of them actually kept their anti-miscegenation laws after 1887--Indiana and, depending on whether one considers it to be a part of the Northern US, Missouri.
The attitudes in Indiana are, or were when I lived in southern Michigan, somewhat more typical of the south. E.g, I recall reading that a larger percentage of its population than any other state belonged to the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The US states in gray on this map never had anti-miscegenation laws and the US states in green on this map got rid of their anti-miscegenation laws in 1887 or earlier:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The attitudes in Indiana are, or were when I lived in southern Michigan, somewhat more typical of the south. E.g, I recall reading that a larger percentage of its population than any other state belonged to the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s.
I'm not sure about southern Michigan, but Indiana, Yes, definitely. AFAIK the KKK had the largest presence in Indiana out of all of the Northern US states in the 1920s. Also, Indiana was one of the few Northern states that voted for the Democrats a lot during the Gilded Age--specifically in the 1876 to 1892 time period.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Northern United States - Wikipedia

Out of the Northern US states on the map above, only one or two of them actually kept their anti-miscegenation laws after 1887--Indiana and, depending on whether one considers it to be a part of the Northern US, Missouri.

The map is odd to consider Missouri not fully southern but Delaware southern.

Many plains and western states had miscegination laws into the mid 20th century.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It is just a little odd to pick Missouri as more northern than Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia. Particularly Delaware, which was originally part of Pennsylvania and had 3% slaves in 1860 seems to fit the least as southern. Otherwise, why not mark out all 5 border states as a separate category.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It is just a little odd to pick Missouri as more northern than Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia. Particularly Delaware, which was originally part of Pennsylvania and had 3% slaves in 1860 seems to fit the least as southern. Otherwise, why not mark out all 5 border states as a separate category.
Agreed. Indeed, you're correct that Maryland and Delaware had a much higher % of free Blacks in 1860 than Missouri had back then.

Similar History Discussions