Jim Rogers on Nixon's Visit to China in 1972.

Status
Closed
Apr 2019
Korea
Chairman Jim Rogers of Rogers Holdings remembers Nixon's 1972 visit to China. He later wrote "A Bull in China."

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I was child but followed such events. It was an era of detente. As the war in Vietnam was coming to a close and after years of the Cold War, complete with fallout shelters and drills, I think many people hoped that nations and peoples could find a common thread of humanity to get along and live in peace. After all, for many, there had been no rest from conflict or the potential for conflict since WW2. There was also an economic interest in the Chinese market. Ironic how that has evolved.

Apr 2019
Korea
I was child but followed such events. It was an era of detente. As the war in Vietnam was coming to a close and after years of the Cold War, complete with fallout shelters and drills, I think many people hoped that nations and peoples could find a common thread of humanity to get along and live in peace. After all, for many, there had been no rest from conflict or the potential for conflict since WW2. There was also an economic interest in the Chinese market. Ironic how that has evolved.
The U.S. probably did not pay much attention to the obvious rise of PRC after Nixon's visit as the enemy No. 1 was the Soviet Union back then. Many would argue that Nixon's visit and what happened after it was justified so much so that it strategically weakened the close ties between the PRC and the Soviet Union, etc. that eventually ended with America's victory in the Cold War in the early 1990s. Now that Russia is a much smaller economic threat than PRC is, America's focus seems to have changed a lot. Only time will tell what comes next.

May 2019
Earth
The U.S. probably did not pay much attention to the obvious rise of PRC after Nixon's visit as the enemy No. 1 was the Soviet Union back then. Many would argue that Nixon's visit and what happened after it was justified so much so that it strategically weakened the close ties between the PRC and the Soviet Union, etc. that eventually ended with America's victory in the Cold War in the early 1990s. Now that Russia is a much smaller economic threat than PRC is, America's focus seems to have changed a lot. Only time will tell what comes next.
I don't think that it's possible to stop China now, they will surely become first hyper power with gdp of nearly 50trillion between 2050 to 2080 as predicted by most of economists.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Nixon also participated in the Detente with the USSR ,
started the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks ,
signed the Anti Ballistic Missile treaty ,
signed the Paris peace accords

the US were in dire straits politically and financially , he fixed both

Apr 2019
Korea
I don't think that it's possible to stop China now, they will surely become first hyper power with gdp of nearly 50trillion between 2050 to 2080 as predicted by most of economists.
China certainly has potential to grow massively. At the same time, it has internal and external problems, and the whole world is watching whether China is able to overcome all these problems or not.

Apr 2019
Korea
Nixon also participated in the Detente with the USSR ,
started the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks ,
signed the Anti Ballistic Missile treaty ,
signed the Paris peace accords

the US were in dire straits politically and financially , he fixed both
Many people do not remember much about him besides his resignation.
However, he certainly accomplished many things as a President, and was JFK's biggest political rival at one point.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
yep just to show if you want a great reputation , get a good speechwriter and don't piss on the FBI

Status
Closed