Jim Rogers on the Opening of China

Oct 2015
India
South Korea has a well developed & competitive industrial setup. If North Korea opens up then it will mainly mean

(i) Migration of labour from North to South Korea. It will improve wage-levels in North Korea.
(ii) Expansion of South Korean giants and setting up manufacturing facilities by them in North.

Once the above demands / needs are exhausted, then alone other countries will get a chance to invest.

On the whole, such an eventuality will be good for both the Koreas. China opportunity was far bigger.

Apr 2019
Korea
South Korea has a well developed & competitive industrial setup. If North Korea opens up then it will mainly mean

(i) Migration of labour from North to South Korea. It will improve wage-levels in North Korea.
(ii) Expansion of South Korean giants and setting up manufacturing facilities by them in North.

Once the above demands / needs are exhausted, then alone other countries will get a chance to invest.

On the whole, such an eventuality will be good for both the Koreas. China opportunity was far bigger.
I agree with you. At the same time, it remains to be seen whether the potential migration of factories of those owned by corporations from the South to North Korea will cause any socioeconomic conflicts in both countries. It also has potential to bring unemployment up among South Koreans and bring their average down. I'm not against reunification, but am trying to engage in intellectual debates with all of you at the forum about potential downside of the reunification at least on economic terms for South Koreans.

May 2017
China
I agree with you. At the same time, it remains to be seen whether the potential migration of factories of those owned by corporations from the South to North Korea will cause any socioeconomic conflicts in both countries. It also has potential to bring unemployment up among South Koreans and bring their average down. I'm not against reunification, but am trying to engage in intellectual debates with all of you at the forum about potential downside of the reunification at least on economic terms for South Koreans.
it is not possible for korea to reunified. china, japan, america will not allowed it.

china benefit from cheap coal and iron mining from north korea, china can dictate the market prices.

america benefit from north korean threat, they sell a lot weapon to south korea such as thaad.

japan won't be happy with strong powerful corea.

so for korean that hope for reunification, better never hope for it, it is simply impossible especially when china and america still exist.

Feb 2019
California
it is not possible for korea to reunified. china, japan, america will not allowed it.

china benefit from cheap coal and iron mining from north korea, china can dictate the market prices.

america benefit from north korean threat, they sell a lot weapon to south korea such as thaad.

japan won't be happy with strong powerful corea.

so for korean that hope for reunification, better never hope for it, it is simply impossible especially when china and america still exist.

This is absurd except insofar as China goes.

Oct 2015
India
South Korea is primarily an export driven economy. For example, they have set up large factories in India (Hyundai cars, Samsung phones, LG air-conditioners etc) and captured good market-share in India. Much more than even the Americans have been able to do.

So setting up factories in North Korea (where labour is cheaper than South) will mean ability to manufacture at lower cost. This would increase South Korea's global competitiveness. I do not foresee any economic problems in South Korea due to this as it survives on exports.

There may be some social problems which am unable to say much about as I do not know about the cultural differences. But perhaps the two countries were one till about 50 years back. That will smoothen the road.

The two nations can start with free trade & open borders, unification will follow.

Feb 2019
California
which one my argument that absurd?
Re Japan: do you really think that they would rather have a North Korea with nukes (working or not who knows) shooting missles their way every time dear leader has a temper tantrum than have South Korea become Korea? I think not.

Re the U.S. Do you really think that the United States with its Ginormous economy and very "foreign-policy oriented" government gives a fat flyer about making money selling a few planes and tanks to South Korea? More than it would like to see China being undermined by losing one of its lackeys?

There you go. :)

Similar History Discussions