Jim Rogers on the Opening of China

Apr 2019
Korea
South Korea is primarily an export driven economy. For example, they have set up large factories in India (Hyundai cars, Samsung phones, LG air-conditioners etc) and captured good market-share in India. Much more than even the Americans have been able to do.

So setting up factories in North Korea (where labour is cheaper than South) will mean ability to manufacture at lower cost. This would increase South Korea's global competitiveness. I do not foresee any economic problems in South Korea due to this as it survives on exports.

There may be some social problems which am unable to say much about as I do not know about the cultural differences. But perhaps the two countries were one till about 50 years back. That will smoothen the road.

The two nations can start with free trade & open borders, unification will follow.
Good point. While some South Korean factory jobs may get lost to North in the earlier years of Korean reunification, it will eventually boost up Korean factories' global competitiveness, especially so in developing world like India and Latin America where cheaper goods are more desirable, and then bringing greater good to the United Korean economy in the long run.

Certainly even the Germans who had much less division between the two are still having social and economic issues between the two Germanies some thirty years after German Unification. Both Koreas will have cultural differences too. One way to resolve this issue seems to provide new government incentives to Southern ex-factory workers to move up north and get a job and house there. Certainly their new pay-check may be lighter than they used to be, but so will their cost of living in ex-North Korea will be. These human interactions could smoothen the division between the two Koreas.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Honestly, looking at what happened with West-East-Germany (and West-East-Europe) and the 30 years perspective, I begin thinking that the economical gap is easier to manage and pass than the conjunction of the divergent mentalities that developed in the two Koreas all this period.

I'd say that if everything is very well managed, You'll need some 20 years to have the unification starting to be effective.

Apr 2019
Korea
Honestly, looking at what happened with West-East-Germany (and West-East-Europe) and the 30 years perspective, I begin thinking that the economical gap is easier to manage and pass than the conjunction of the divergent mentalities that developed in the two Koreas all this period.

I'd say that if everything is very well managed, You'll need some 20 years to have the unification starting to be effective.
With total control of the mass media for over 70 years, the mind of North Koreans has certainly been under total control of the Kim family. Brainwashed people have difficult time seeing the truth.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
With total control of the mass media for over 70 years, the mind of North Koreans has certainly been under total control of the Kim family. Brainwashed people have difficult time seeing the truth.
IDK North Korea, but I would be very surprised if it would be that different from European communist countries

So, I would say You're wrong: no, the Kim's regime doesn't control Korean's mind.

Especially because it's in place for 70 years. You might have false images and explanations in Your mind as You don't have access to contradictory ideas, informations, as You can't compare. But when You starve, You don't believe BS any longer.

People in communist countries believed en masse in the benefits of the communism the first ten-twenty years. Afterwards, most of them just adapted ... meaning keep it shut, take what You can and try to stay out of trouble.

And inspite of the communist total control of information, total control was never achieved. Not even in North Korea.

Apr 2019
Korea
IDK North Korea, but I would be very surprised if it would be that different from European communist countries

So, I would say You're wrong: no, the Kim's regime doesn't control Korean's mind.

Especially because it's in place for 70 years. You might have false images and explanations in Your mind as You don't have access to contradictory ideas, informations, as You can't compare. But when You starve, You don't believe BS any longer.

People in communist countries believed en masse in the benefits of the communism the first ten-twenty years. Afterwards, most of them just adapted ... meaning keep it shut, take what You can and try to stay out of trouble.

And inspite of the communist total control of information, total control was never achieved. Not even in North Korea.
Good point. I surely wish that the two Koreas do not have a very difficult time integrating with each other once Korean Reunification happens.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Good point. I surely wish that the two Koreas do not have a very difficult time integrating with each other once Korean Reunification happens.
Well, if You wanna successful reunification, the first thing to do is to drop the hope of not having a difficult time.

It will be very difficult, for both Koreas.

Prepare for 10-20 years (that's the optimistic version) of economic hardships, of tensions between the two communities.

Apr 2019
Korea
Well, if You wanna successful reunification, the first thing to do is to drop the hope of not having a difficult time.

It will be very difficult, for both Koreas.

Prepare for 10-20 years (that's the optimistic version) of economic hardships, of tensions between the two communities.
What is your view on Jim Rogers' take on the Korean Reunification?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
BBLOKK, you had a separate thread on Korean Unification and we moderators closed it. You can't circumvent that decision by moving the topic to another thread.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
BBLOKK, you had a separate thread on Korean Unification and we moderators closed it. You can't circumvent that decision by moving the topic to another thread.

I was discussing on Korean unification, and I think I started doing it here before the closing of the other thread.

In all honesty, maybe I'm responsable of it, and maybe I should take the warning myself, at least a share of it.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
What is your view on Jim Rogers' take on the Korean Reunification?

I don't have one as I didn't watched it (and I have to confess that probably I will not: I spent extremely fee time on uTubes and the likes, as I don't have sound on my desktop and I never know where my earrings are :eek: )