Jobs guarantee with income support in response to technological unemployment?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Tax on sale only finishes up as hurting the customers and doesn't seem to raise enough funds to actually justify their existence as a primary revenue source.
Financial transactions fall in much the category that I don't think you would be able to raise sufficient funds for it to be viable. Besides you run of possible destroying the financial industry of your nation.

That's not the case

VAT (which is unknown in the states) brings in more revenue than income tax in many european countries....

The additional advantage is that you tax imported products at the same rate as your own unlike tax/social tax on work which only penalizes your own products (since your labor costs are higher)

The challenge with transaction tax is indeed that the financial industry becomes less competitive so its better if its coordinated between countries... But lets face it: is anyone going to stop buying US stocks or treasures because of a transaction tax ? unlikely .... The added benefit is that it will stop silly practices such as a high frequency trading, which are not only useless but counter productive and will reduce speculation

Aug 2014
Australia
What do you when the minimum IQ to get a good job goes up to 130 or so in a few years time?
I already said above. Social unrest. Fire and blood. It is starting right now and will only get worse. It can be delayed with bread and circuses (food stamps and reality TV) but it can't be held off forever.

Last edited:

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The population problem is already fixing itself. Fertility rates decline as female education levels increase. Even in India the Fertility Rate has fallen below replacement rate. By the middle of this century the global population will have peaked (at around 9 billion) and afterwards it will sharply decline. This is going to exacerbate the aging demographic problem. If AI and robots aren't running things by then, there is going to be some major labour shortages.
There might be labor shortages or the shrinking population might ease the problem of finding enough jobs for everyone.

Aug 2014
Australia
There might be labor shortages or the shrinking population might ease the problem of finding enough jobs for everyone.
Only if you get rid of all the old people. The aging population is going to cripple everything. Look at Japan today; they are trying to fix the problem with robotics and I think it will work so long as there is enough wealth to support all the retirees.

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
Clear off! I am having enough trouble trying to stay alive without you trying to kill me off! My government will be all too pleased when I shuffle off this mortal coil, but please don't try to encourage them!

Jul 2009
Only if you get rid of all the old people. The aging population is going to cripple everything. Look at Japan today; they are trying to fix the problem with robotics and I think it will work so long as there is enough wealth to support all the retirees.
Clear off! I am having enough trouble trying to stay alive without you trying to kill me off! My government will be all too pleased when I shuffle off this mortal coil, but please don't try to encourage them!
The government(s) will repurpose all us old geezers. Soylent Green is made out of people.

Apr 2013
New Verulamium
That's not the case

VAT (which is unknown in the states) brings in more revenue than income tax in many european countries....

The additional advantage is that you tax imported products at the same rate as your own unlike tax/social tax on work which only penalizes your own products (since your labor costs are higher)
There's also the fact that VAT is levied at point of sale making avoidance near impossible, unlike income tax. Indeed, much of the case for indirect taxation seems to be built of its greater efficiency.

Similar History Discussions