Johann Tserclaes, Count of Tilly The most underrated general of the Thirty Years war

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
I read from Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years War that a certain general Lleganez was more responsible for the tactics that won at Nordlingen than the Cardinal-Infante. Of course, Wilson and I could be wrong.

Aug 2019
Sack of Magdeburg : Johann Tserclaes was a serial rapist and a child molester. His only claim to fame is cowardly starving his own troops into desperation during the Siege so that his faint-hearted and chicken little demon army did not have to face a real Swedish military. Johann Tserclaes is a disgrace and an uncomfortable mention for any warrior: present, past, or future.

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Sack of Magdeburg : Johann Tserclaes was a serial rapist and a child molester. His only claim to fame is cowardly starving his own troops into desperation during the Siege so that his faint-hearted and chicken little demon army did not have to face a real Swedish military. Johann Tserclaes is a disgrace and an uncomfortable mention for any warrior: present, past, or future.
*Yawn* You know, first impressions are huge and if this unsubstantiated, emotionally-driven drivel is what you are going to deal in when posting here and in interacting with others, then I suspect that you're gonna get banned pretty soon.

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Never seen nuke get nettled.

I mean... I don't think Tilly wanted to kill civilians but even if he did, why do you care about dead people from 400 years ago? I've never gotten emotional because of the Siege of Jerusalem or anything. Granted some religious people do.

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Never seen nuke get nettled.

I mean... I don't think Tilly wanted to kill civilians but even if he did, why do you care about dead people from 400 years ago? I've never gotten emotional because of the Siege of Jerusalem or anything. Granted some religious people do.
Yeah, it's a rarity for me, but I guess I was just in one of those moods. Plus, seeing one of 'those guys' being so emotional and using such indignant terminology to express their views of a historical event over which anyone involved is already long dead is just something that can get under my skin. He's expressing basically the same prevailing attitude as the victors in some of the post-WWII kangaroo courts.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain

This is a forum about HISTORY.. not about a band of paranoid spoiled upper-class brat who live... on daddy's money and believe they have the right to judge others ...save you were in the BED with the great Tilly Tserclaes (a Spanish General belonged (and still, 2019) belong to the Spanish Nobility.) you should be in silent.... "serial rapist".... "child molester"... but what deivil are you talking about? What´s to be "a child"? What was a "child" in 17th Century?....

Save you were in the bed with Tilly Tserclaes... better to be in silent. As in this forum.. great members told you... Tilly Tserclaes was a Spanish-Imperial General...(he fought for Habsburg)....Spanish and Austrian Habsburg. In 18th Century.. when the Catholic King lost the Low Countries... Tilly Tsarclaes family stablished in Spain ...so... if the present Count Tilly of Tsarclaes, Grandee of Spain from 1692... read you say his great great great dad was a "child molester"....maybe you can finish in the Court.... I guess... you saying to the magistrate... yes, yes, Joahn Tserclaes abused on me!.... when I was 7 yo.. during the Palatinate Campaign!!!! in 1620... and my witness is Cardenal - Infante!!!! (Oh what a great and delicious script for Billy Wilder!!!!)

So.... dear Boss hog... as it was said in Tercios... ¡Sosegaos, sosegaos! (be in calm! be in calm!),... Tilly was a great Valonian General.... he obtained great victories.... and eventually he was defeated by the Great Gustavus....my opinio is Gustavus Adolphus was better general than Tilly... but I think that if Tilly lost it was because he didn't have his Tercios Viejos with him ... if he would have them ... I'm sure they would have won ... they would have overcome their inferiority in the maneuver, with their enormous quality in combat ... as they would do in Nordlingen .. years later ...

But.... in any case, my item of advice:

Don´t believe everything in Wikpedia... it was not written by God (not even by Muhammad...)

Second.. I hope this man (Count of Tilly of Tsarclaes).. he is a doctor.. doesn´t read this forum... because.. so... Billy Wilder come here pleassseeeeeeee!

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions