John Bell Hood

Jun 2006
Kentucky
Hood was an excellent General of the CSA, despite his poor academic performance at West Point. He is mostly remembered for his for failing to get Sherman out of Atlanta, and his attack on Little Round Top at Gettysburg.

If you've seen Gettysburg the movie, you will remember a pretty powerful scene where he approaches General Lee asking for a reassignment. He was pissed off because he could have taken that hill before the Union reached it.

I believe he says something like "Give me one division, and I can take that hill. Give me one Brigade and I can take that hill. Sir, give me one Regiment and I will take that hill."

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
old_abe said:
If you've seen Gettysburg the movie, you will remember a pretty powerful scene where he approaches General Lee asking for a reassignment. He was pissed off because he could have taken that hill before the Union reached it.

I believe he says something like "Give me one division, and I can take that hill. Give me one Brigade and I can take that hill. Sir, give me one Regiment and I will take that hill."
That was General Isaac Tremble. He was pissed off because General Ewell didn't deem it practicable to take Culp's Hill on day one. Hood could have take Little Round Top if they had moved sooner, but the Army Signal Corps had them believing infantry was up there.

Jul 2006
Vancouver Washington
I my opinion John Bell Hood was probablly the worst commander of the American Civil War (seconded or tied with Braxton Bragg)

As a corps commander during the Atlanta campaign he was dismal. After bad mouthing Joe Johnston to Jefferson Davis, and basically stealing command of the Army of Tennesee, over better suited Generals and senior generals like Hardee or Cleburne. He had the gaul to beg Johnston for his imput on leading that army. His inept handling of the Army of Tennessee at Peachtree Creek and Jonesboro lost most important rail hub, and second most important manufacturing center in the Confederacy, Atlanta.

Then rather attempt to block Shermans drive on Savanah he decided to make a push into Tennessee and Kentucky. In Tennessee Hood severly damaged his army at Franklin and then alowed it to be destroyed at Nashville.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
I wouldn't say he was as bad as Bragg. All Bragg had to do at Chickamauga was stand still. I don't see how Hood was given command of the Army of Tennessee, aside from the fact that Davis had a grudge against Johnston. The man had lost an arm at Gettysburg, and he lost a leg at Chickamauga. After that he was tied in a saddle and drank opium constantly, to rid him of phantom pains. I think up till Chickamauga he was a decent commander. Longstreet even went as far as to recomend he be promoted to Lieutenant General after the battle. But when he was given comand of an army Robert E. Lee even said he shouldn't be given the job.

Jul 2006
Vancouver Washington
Lord_Cronus said:
I wouldn't say he was as bad as Bragg. All Bragg had to do at Chickamauga was stand still. I don't see how Hood was given command of the Army of Tennessee, aside from the fact that Davis had a grudge against Johnston. The man had lost an arm at Gettysburg, and he lost a leg at Chickamauga. After that he was tied in a saddle and drank opium constantly, to rid him of phantom pains. I think up till Chickamauga he was a decent commander. Longstreet even went as far as to recomend he be promoted to Lieutenant General after the battle. But when he was given comand of an army Robert E. Lee even said he shouldn't be given the job.
The time Hood spent in Richmond after his wound at Chickamauga was spent chasing after Nancy Bell Preston and sh*t talking Johnston to Davis (Who had a thing against Johnston from West Point). Even Lee said that Hood was a fighter, but Hood lacked other qualities .

Bragg was a total closet case wacko who was hated (mostly) by his two fisted drinking Tennessee laweyer subalterns, but at least he held his poop together long enough to retreat. (If he needed to or not.)

I find it odd that Federal commanders such as Burnside or Hooker get so much flack about Fredericksburg, or Chancellorsville but nobody says....well he was a good corps commander....

Similar History Discussions