Julian Assange arrested

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Arkteia, do what You should do: listen to the other side!

Not Al Jazeera, not RT, not CNN. If it's something You're interested into, listen to Al Jazeera and RT and CNN.
I am a disgruntled Democrat, essentially, an independent. So to me, the "other side" would be Fox News. No way.

BBC, perhaps? With Assange, the ball is in British corner.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Honestly: would You sit on a terrace and start to talk to a totally unknown person that accosted You on the street, in a totally unknown city, just like that?

Don't think so. Why then doing it on the net?

You feel protected because You're sitting behind a screen, in a familiar environment (as most do).

Think that that screen isn't protecting You, once You're "in here, on the net", You aren't in Your familiar environment: You're in the jungle.
This is the thing. I usually don't open the links. But it is very easy to hack anyone, one merely has to look at the number used more often and send some link looking like it might come from that person. (A link to a Russian newspaper with an article about Putin/Medvedev taxes).

But it is interesting that this link came as we were discussing hackers.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
WWII concentration camp guards would beat up and torture people, burn them in crematoria and perform quite tangible crimes.

If you tell me that as the result of Assange activity anyone got killed, tortured, burned, I'd say, yes. Heck, if my taxes were raised because of his activity, I'd say, yes.

Maybe I don't understand something? Because today we are discussing whether Alexa is spying on us, and what our computer might know, what he dumped is really non-essential.

As to 2016...only one person in the country seems to think the dump played the critical role. I doubt, and I was very active during that time, and read several books afterwards to understand what had happened.

"I might further direct you to Assange’s own unique brand of journalism, when he could still be said to be practicing it. Releasing U.S. diplomatic communiqués that named foreigners living in conflict zones or authoritarian states and liaising with American officials was always going to require thorough vetting and redaction, lest those foreigners be put in harm’s way. Assange did not care—he wanted their names published, according to Luke Harding and David Leigh in WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War on Secrecy. As they recount the story, when Guardian journalists working with WikiLeaks to disseminate its tranche of U.S. secrets tried to explain to Assange why it was morally reprehensible to publish the names of Afghans working with American troops, Assange replied: “Well, they’re informants. So, if they get killed, they’ve got it coming to them. They deserve it.”

Julian Assange Got What He Deserved

Jul 2009
Don't forget the word 'mask', all that talk of democracy, human rights, and 'universal values'. At least we agree that this has always been a deception. In the stage when this guise is finally dropping, we can already talk about the start of the terminal decline of the Anglo-American Empire.
Liberal democracy is a con game; all other forms are kleptocracies where there is not even the pretense of lawful governance. All forms of governance are "masks" behind which the real power hides. Given our choices, liberal democracy is better.

Don't throw dirt on the "Anglo-American Empire" just yet Valens. Maybe in 100 years when we are all dead. ;)

Jul 2009
"I might further direct you to Assange’s own unique brand of journalism, when he could still be said to be practicing it. Releasing U.S. diplomatic communiqués that named foreigners living in conflict zones or authoritarian states and liaising with American officials was always going to require thorough vetting and redaction, lest those foreigners be put in harm’s way. Assange did not care—he wanted their names published, according to Luke Harding and David Leigh in WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War on Secrecy. As they recount the story, when Guardian journalists working with WikiLeaks to disseminate its tranche of U.S. secrets tried to explain to Assange why it was morally reprehensible to publish the names of Afghans working with American troops, Assange replied: “Well, they’re informants. So, if they get killed, they’ve got it coming to them. They deserve it.”

Julian Assange Got What He Deserved
As said above, Assange is a sociopath. He has assured himself that he will get what he deserves - whether from the East or from the West. I feel sorry for the cat though.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Sure wikileaks is taking advantage from the misfortune of Assange ... according to Alexa the site wikileaks.org has improved its ranking in the last weeks [+9,894 places] to reach the 15,839th place at global level.

And I'm not aware that in Western countries governments are blocking the access to wikileaks ... and ... also in China they can access to that site.

So no government is attacking "individual freedoms" or freedom of information ... if you want you can access wikileaks which will survive to Mr. Assange.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
As said above, Assange is a sociopath. He has assured himself that he will get what he deserves - whether from the East or from the West. I feel sorry for the cat though.
Often I also feel sorry for small people who end up holding the s**t end of the stick, but occasionally there are people who have consciously performed activities that I consider repulsive overriding my natural sympathies. Assange has merited inclusion into the latter category.

Fox

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
Korea
I am a disgruntled Democrat, essentially, an independent. So to me, the "other side" would be Fox News. No way.
As someone who is also of a liberal inclination but repulsed by the direction in which the American Left is going, I find The American Conservative to be a good publication for thoughtful pieces written by "the other side." Consider looking at it sometime.

Similar History Discussions