Julian Assange arrested

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
" Is it just the wheels of justice or are there political motivations behind the activity?"

The Swedish prosecution service is not political, it is a professional organization that is part of the legal system; and here it is acting in response to a request from the alleged victim's lawyer. If there was originally sufficient reason to investigate the case, and it is not now prevented by any statute of limitations, one would expect it to be reopened. I have never had any faith in the notion that politics lies behind this. Why on earth should it? To lure him to Sweden to extradite him to the USA? But the USA is already seeking his extradition form the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edratman

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
to protect the tender feelings of the British legal system of not being perceived as a manure shovel of the Neocon , maybe
Sweden hardly matter , it's been decades since they stopped their former major export .........good intentions

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
Maddow is of course so clever that she got it entirely right on the Trump Russian collusion issue while the idiotic Carlson got it entirely wrong! You're evidently just judging them in terms of your own political views.
No matter how far removed from it we are, it always comes down to things "having to be" good vs. evil, neither side like it when they are called evil but feel very vindicated and at ease dishing it out, I can make the case for both good and evil for both sides as I have ample evidence that can make such cases.

Also, I have had this discussion numerous times and a lot of people do not really appreciate the fact that
1-One can be smart and disagrees with you.
2-One can be good and disagree with you.
3-One can be stupid and agrees with you.
4-and yes, one can be BAD and agrees with you.

I do not know why the insistence on good=smart and evil=stupid.

about 10 years ago, I mentioned that MSNBC was a state-mouthpiece for the incorruptible one and now people are doing the same thing about Fox News, and guess what, both are correct statements to make, we seem to all know that at some level so why act surprised that it can be true !!!

Reactions: redcoat

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Ron Paul , Tulsy Gabbard ,brother Nathanael
listen to the weirdos , unconventionals and straight out lunatics , then in the dross look out for diamonds

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Maddow is of course so clever that she got it entirely right on the Trump Russian collusion issue while the idiotic Carlson got it entirely wrong! You're evidently just judging them in terms of your own political views.
I suggest you stay tuned and keep an eye out...

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Stayed tuned? Goodness me, it's absolutely impossible to escape from all this nonsense.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
A country has the politicians it deserve is an old trope
I would say "a country has the politicians which fit its imagination"

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I think that's only partly true actually, the menu offered to voters is limited and they have to make their choice between the least undesirable; and when large sections of the population feel that they are being scorned, they are inclined to vote for odd or undesirable people, and it isn't really fair to say that these are the politicians that they 'deserve'. Personally I fail to see how Trump is any worse than fine gentlemen like LBJ and Clinton, the system might almost have been designed to bring dreadful people to the fore. Nowadays in the UK hardly any people of substance seem to enter politics, they are all creeps or mediocrities, if these are the politicians that we deserve we might as well hang ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iraq Bruin

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A brief digression ... Generally speaking, in the institutions [at any level] there are three main kinds [or "species"!] of "operators" today:

- Statesmen and stateswomen
they are really rare, almost an exception, because you have to find very valuable and capable individuals who accept to put the community before their own interests even after getting the power [this is the difficult part ... in Italy we say that "power corrupts"].

- Public servants
similar to statesmen as for attitude, they show a lack of comprehensive global vision, so that they are suitable to serve in minor institutions or to aid statesmen ...

- Common politicians
they are more than the 90% of the population of the institutions and they are not different from common citizens. When you are elected, you don't become something different ... They are not as valuable and as capable as statesmen or public servants, they are not particularly intelligent [no superior IQ] and they are vulnerable to environmental corruption and media pressure [they suffer of "reputation syndrome"].

Politologists underline that the species of the common politicians is not relegated, by natural selection, to the low levels of the institutions, unfortunately, because of an odd process of sociological identification, they are able to obtain the favour and the sustain of a very large part of the electorate.

Reactions: joaocm