sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
"a country has the politicians which fit its imagination"
by this I mean people choose those which said aloud what they wish was true

Oct 2010
DC
Don't worry, a lot of people don't understand why.

I'd say there's another thing a lot of people don't understand: it's easier to be smart and bad than smart and good.
The thing is almost everything today sounds like a choir: the saintly preacher, the persecuted righteous, then the inquisition.

Amusing cycle irrespective of the ideas and identities.

The thing I want to remind people of is almost every cliche is bidirectional but who listens.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
First the NYT has dubious credibility, along the same lines as CNN

Second I am really confused as to this negativity re Wikileaks.... How exactly would the world be a better place without it ? Why is it being held to higher standards than media giants such as CNN that have access to billions of dollars and support from the rich and poweful whilst wikileaks is run on a shoestring budget by a few enthusiasts who actually put their well being on the line as was amply demonstrated

Third, the US threatens other governments on a daily basis... is the US a criminal enterprise according to the same logic ?
Nice try. No cigar for you. Someone who touts Wikileaks as being some sort of “professionally-trained” protest organization needs to find his/her mind. Colluding with the Russians is not exactly a good career move. Assange apparently believes that being an “enfant terrible” hurling accusations against the US while making an ass out of himself with the Ecuadorians (and irritating the crap out of them) is/was a good career move. Not.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Don't forget the word 'mask', all that talk of democracy, human rights, and 'universal values'. At least we agree that this has always been a deception. In the stage when this guise is finally dropping, we can already talk about the start of the terminal decline of the Anglo-American Empire.
Sounds like an appeal to “wish fulfillment” to me. “Terminal decline of the Anglo-American Empire” indeed. It’s not an “empire” unless you can characterize an “empre” as being built almost entirely on American soft power with allies competing strenuously for US bases to be located in their countries. We know it’s not an”empire” because empires do not walk away from bases when we are asked to leave. Your idea of “empire” is both flawed and outdated.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
If Assange is
Assange always claimed that the democrat national committee leak were from inside , downloaded on a memory stick

Now that the collusion thing has been put aside , prez Trump is sticking the knife
how come there was an investigation , on which information was the FBI snooping around a presidential campaign

it would have to be rock solid , not some vague rumors or sly innuendos , were some FBI elements rooting for Hillary ?

the cost to the Ecuadorian tax payer should be minimal , probably much less than an embassy employee would
and Ecuador scored a major loan ,
from the International monetary fund site
IMF Executive Board Approves US$4.2 Billion Extended Fund Facility for Ecuador
If Assange is so innocent, why has his behavior been so obviously that of a guilty person? If he were innocent. Why wouldn’t Assange have been eager to have his innocence be obvious to everyone? Oh, um, maybe because he’s as guilty as a masked raccoon washing sugar cubes in the rain bucket.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
1. As soon as one criticizes the established media, one is subject to not so subtle ad hominem attacks

You could have at least read the relevant posts
Julian Assange arrested
and if in disagreement provided some evidence of the NYT's reliability....

2. That was Not the point... Please prove how the world would be a better place without Wikileaks (that was the original point)

3. Is Wikileaks a "criminal enterprise" ... Again do bother to read the original posts before making replies
You've just stumbled up against the mad partisanship of current American politics, in which for people who come from one side of the divide Tucker Carlson must necessarily be a complete idiot, and anyone who questions whether the NYT and CNN are consistently reliable must be visiting from alternate universe. Those of us who look in from outside, by contrast, tend to regard the USA itself as an alternate universe where people seem unable to recognize that there is quite as much political hackery in the left wing media as that of the right, and where it seems impossible for people from one side of the divide to recognize that a political commentator may be cogent and intelligent if they doesn't share his political views!
You must not be speaking of Tucker Carlson who is neither impartial nor even-handed. You probably don’t know that Carlson worked for NBC/MSNBC a few years ago before landing his ‘dream job’ as a Fox News hack. Personally, I find Carlson to be “lower than the belly of a snake”.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I think that's only partly true actually, the menu offered to voters is limited and they have to make their choice between the least undesirable; and when large sections of the population feel that they are being scorned, they are inclined to vote for odd or undesirable people, and it isn't really fair to say that these are the politicians that they 'deserve'. Personally I fail to see how Trump is any worse than fine gentlemen like LBJ and Clinton, the system might almost have been designed to bring dreadful people to the fore. Nowadays in the UK hardly any people of substance seem to enter politics, they are all creeps or mediocrities, if these are the politicians that we deserve we might as well hang ourselves.
The current occupant of the White House is very likely a deeply corrupt criminal who has been ripping off and taking adavantage of the US system for many decades now. He surrounds himself with family because he knows they understand and approve of his likely-criminal behavior. He’s just Like the Mafia in that respect - he only trusts “family” because the whole family is in on it.

Trump represents the very worst, the absolute “rock-bottom” of New Jersey criminal behavior. Trump is the embodiment of a “Pandora’s Box” of sleazy behavior that we must vote out of office at the earliest possible opportunity or the US will be so thoroughly emasculated as to be nearly beyond recovery.

Jul 2009
You must not be speaking of Tucker Carlson who is neither impartial nor even-handed. You probably don’t know that Carlson worked for NBC/MSNBC a few years ago before landing his ‘dream job’ as a Fox News hack. Personally, I find Carlson to be “lower than the belly of a snake”.
Tucker Carlson tries too hard to out-Hannity Hannity. I do not think too much of Elizabeth Warren's gravitas (she looks like everybody's high school English teacher), but I agree with her that Fox News is "Hate for profit."

Similar History Discussions