Just Ancient Egypt

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Ref:
Annales du Service des Antiquités de l'Egypte Vol 51
435 – 440 A. Batrawi The Skeletal Remains from the Northern Pyramid of Sneferu

Ahmed Mahmoud el Batrawi’s mentor was Douglas Derry. Together they established the Derry-Batrawi collection (Kasr al Ainy Faculty of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt). The discovery of the remains were made during the Abdel Salam Hussein and Ahmad Fakhry Dahshur Missions 1946-49. The detailed anthropological report published in 1951 (two years later). The detail in the report reflects in-lab work. It can safely be assumed that the remains are at the medical school. Most likely in the previously named collection. John B.

Note: Derry did the autopsy work on Tut and the two stillborn children were taken by him to the Anatomy school collection.When they did the DNA study they found them in that collection. The royal remains from Tanis were examined by Derry and are still in this collection. These (Sneferu) remains are most likely stored with the others held in the Anatomy School. John B.

Extract from Ref:
The lower part of a frontal bone. The left frontal sinus is widely exposed on the inner aspect of the fragment and its walls are stained by a shiny black substance, gum or resin-like. ...
One piece comprising a small portion of the left great wing of the sphenoid and a portion of the squamous part of the left temporal bone including the articular fossa and eminence. Scales of desiccated tissue are still firmly adherent to the outer surface of the bone.
A fragment of one calvarial bone of a human skull. ... The inner surface of this fragment is obscured by the presence of a large mass of the black substance already referred to. ...
The greater part of a human mandible, still bearing most of the teeth, either complete or incomplete. The left 2nd molar tooth was evidently lost during life and its socket completely absorbed. The present teeth are somewhat crowded, and they show attrition to a considerable degree. No evidence of dental des ease is present ...
The greater part of a left hip bone. This is well preserved, though it shows signs of charring at several points.
A first right and a left second rib, both incomplete. These again show evidence of charring.
A left talus and part of the corresponding calcaneus, held together in one mass by linen wrappings. ... The linen here again is impregnated and the bone stained by the black substance.
A proximal phalanx of a finger, mostly clothed with dry skin, both in a good state of preservation.

Note: The exact context of the find is not in this report. The notes and photos are most likely in the University of Milan in the Varille library.
Egyptology Library and Archives - University of Milan

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
It seems Zahi has found something and there will be a news release soon.
https://www.egyptindependent.com/zahi-hawass-says-to-announce-great-archaeological-discovery/

He has been digging in the West Valley looking for Tut's wife. Finding the foundation deposits may have paid off.
This is a bit of a puzzle as the last from Hawass about this was that they had found nothing more after the foundation deposits and that the scans had shown nothing. Al-Ahram, Egypt Today, Luxor Times etc are silent. That it is Hawass to make an announcement leads me to think it might be more a propaganda exercise going by what the linked article says. If Khaled El-Anany was going to make an announcement on a major find I would feel more confident that there actually was a major find, but we'll see I guess.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
This is a bit of a puzzle as the last from Hawass about this was that they had found nothing more after the foundation deposits and that the scans had shown nothing. Al-Ahram, Egypt Today, Luxor Times etc are silent. That it is Hawass to make an announcement leads me to think it might be more a propaganda exercise going by what the linked article says. If Khaled El-Anany was going to make an announcement on a major find I would feel more confident that there actually was a major find, but we'll see I guess.
Who knows. However stranger things have happened. We were not privileged to the results of later scans. There are also limits to GPR in an area full of voids in the first place.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Overall Dr. Hawass is underlining that it would be the first great discovery made by a totally Egyptian archaeological mission ... so propaganda can be in the shadow ...

Anyway, I'm noting that the Egyptian management of the national historical treasure is improving, despite internal problems, so let's wait and see.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Overall Dr. Hawass is underlining that it would be the first great discovery made by a totally Egyptian archaeological mission ... so propaganda can be in the shadow ...

Anyway, I'm noting that the Egyptian management of the national historical treasure is improving, despite internal problems, so let's wait and see.
It was funded under the Italian mission as I recall. Much local work is dependent on foreign funding as of late.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
Thanks for the links Hanslune, they add some much needed context to the report I linked to.

But now, having visited Hancock’s site, I have to go wash my eyes!

Similar History Discussions