Just Ancient Egypt

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Fpr a Late Period mummy this one is a top quality one.
Ancient mummy - Global Times
1543181296035.png
"An Egyptian archaeologist brushes a mummy laid inside a carved black wooden sarcophagus inlaid with gilded sheets, dating to Egypt's Late period (7th-4th century BC) discovered by an Egyptian archeological mission at Al-Assasif necropolis on the west bank of the Nile north of the southern Egyptian city of Luxor, on Saturday. Photo: VCG "

Last edited:
Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
Jan 2019
somewhere
Hi everyone, I just registered for this

I recently watched an episode of an admittedly somewhat "sensationalistic" history-themed japanese tv show originally broadcast a few days ago, on 30 December 2018. In the episode, the japanese egyptologist/archaeologist Sakuji Yoshimura said that his team had discovered with ground-penetrating radar in March 2017 an underground space (100x33m) that he believes to be the actual tomb of Khufu, located south of Hemiunu's mastaba in the "empty" corner area of the western cemetery. The location is aligned with the direction of the sunset at summer solstice from the sphinx's viewpoint (28 degrees north, same for sunrise), and it was suggested that the pyramid's name "Khufu's horizon" and the sphinx' name "Horus of the horizon" referred to this "line" which crosses between the two great pyramids, sort of matching the hieroglyph for "horizon" (akhet) as well. Excavations are supposed to begin in 2021.

This is NOT about the "big void" in the pyramid but about an underground space to the west of the pyramid.

So, has anyone heard of any of this? Is there any information available about the discovery of an underground space near Hemiunu's mastaba in March 2017 or the planned excavation? Surely this kind of discovery can't have been "secret", right?

Jun 2016
Oregon
Hi everyone, I just registered for this

I recently watched an episode of an admittedly somewhat "sensationalistic" history-themed japanese tv show originally broadcast a few days ago, on 30 December 2018. In the episode, the japanese egyptologist/archaeologist Sakuji Yoshimura said that his team had discovered with ground-penetrating radar in March 2017 an underground space (100x33m) that he believes to be the actual tomb of Khufu, located south of Hemiunu's mastaba in the "empty" corner area of the western cemetery. The location is aligned with the direction of the sunset at summer solstice from the sphinx's viewpoint (28 degrees north, same for sunrise), and it was suggested that the pyramid's name "Khufu's horizon" and the sphinx' name "Horus of the horizon" referred to this "line" which crosses between the two great pyramids, sort of matching the hieroglyph for "horizon" (akhet) as well. Excavations are supposed to begin in 2021.

This is NOT about the "big void" in the pyramid but about an underground space to the west of the pyramid.

So, has anyone heard of any of this? Is there any information available about the discovery of an underground space near Hemiunu's mastaba in March 2017 or the planned excavation? Surely this kind of discovery can't have been "secret", right?
Given that I cannot find anything to substantiate this claim can you provide any additional information?

Jan 2019
somewhere
Given that I cannot find anything to substantiate this claim can you provide any additional information?
The episode on youtube (watch from 1:29:00):

"Takeshi's new seven wonders of the world". The show is admittedly very entertainment-centric and sensationalistic. The show prominently features celebrity guests which is typical of japanese tv.

However, the professor is very real. Here's his wikipedia page: Sakuji Yoshimura - Wikipedia

According to the japanese wikipedia, he is considered the "leading" japanese egyptologist. He is currently the president of Higashi Nippon International University. His daughter is also an egyptologist. He supposedly discovered a solar barge in 1987.

How could someone like this just make up stuff for entertainment? They really do present the supposed discovery as 100% guaranteed "Khufu's tomb", clearly violating scientific ethics. If they really do lack scientific ethics to the point that they would claim certainty of such an obviously uncertain thing, could they also simply lie about the whole discovery? Although there is plenty of "fake" and exaggerated stuff in japanese tv, I just can't believe someone like this would do it.

Similar History Discussions