Just Ancient Egypt

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Antiquities ministry starts inventory of artefact storehouses throughout Egypt - Ancient Egypt - Heritage - Ahram Online
As has been found in the past items will have been stolen. It also makes one wonder why this was not done long ago.
Is that the exciting new find which was meant to be released last week??

Legs and heads missing?. If the damage was done in ancient times, wouldn't that suggest the owner had been naughty? Although I thought their face, at least the nose, and cartouche would have chiseled off had that been the case. Why would ancient robbers damage figures?

This from a TV docu-drama, about a gang of tomb robbers, while the pharaoh owner was still alive: . According to this programme, tomb robbing could mean a high level corruption. That it was usually the poor dumb bastards who did al the digging who got caught, tortured and later impaled. The poor soul who ended up impaled was called 'Panifer' . Apparently even the grand Vizier was init up to his neck, but escaped getting caught. Does that sound at all likely?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Yeah , Panefer was "examined with sticks" i.e. beaten to get a confession. iirc, he talked about breaking into tombs and setting fire to coffins and mummies and collecting the gold that melted out, stealing amulets and jewelry from mummies, etc. It was a conspiracy that involved the tomb builders themselves; they new best how to get in there, and that pharaohs were just humans. Tut's tomb had actually been robbed, with up to 60% of gold removed. Apparently the necropolis guards got the thieves before they could come back for more.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Is that the exciting new find which was meant to be released last week??

Legs and heads missing?. If the damage was done in ancient times, wouldn't that suggest the owner had been naughty? Although I thought their face, at least the nose, and cartouche would have chiseled off had that been the case. Why would ancient robbers damage figures?

This from a TV docu-drama, about a gang of tomb robbers, while the pharaoh owner was still alive: . According to this programme, tomb robbing could mean a high level corruption. That it was usually the poor dumb bastards who did al the digging who got caught, tortured and later impaled. The poor soul who ended up impaled was called 'Panifer' . Apparently even the grand Vizier was init up to his neck, but escaped getting caught. Does that sound at all likely?
The big guy boning the little guy for his own crimes? LOL At least not much has changed through the millennia.

Mar 2017
Colorado
The "Ancient Egyptians" is a set of four reenactment stories that are supposed to be true.

I don't know the sources for the first three, but the fourth comes from a 3rd century BCE scribe named Ptolemaios that lived near Saqqara. He wrote letters to administrators on behalf of common people who were illiterate, for a few coins. He actually wrote duplicates of every letter and saved them ... his stockpile was found. The story of the twins is so popular, you can actually find direct translations of the papyri on line. If you Google "ancient Egypt female circumcision" you will eventually find a translation of a papyrus, about the same family ... and the same mom who embezzles money from her daughters. As far as that papyrus, they mention it as something that's commonly done, but they don't do it. The letter is interesting on its own: amongst other things, it reveals temples took in homeless guys who begged for a living.

I can't find a reference, but I'm guessing the Panifer story comes from there. On the other hand, since it's tomb robbing, maybe it came from ostraca at Deir el Medina. I thought those things were just short notes & love poems. Apparently, they've pieced together whole stories from those.

You know the Turin Papyri ... the naughty one? That comes from Deir el Medina ...and it's about ONE guy. Only one pudgy balding guy is drawn .... over & over. They've linked him up with some of the ostraca and tell a pretty full story of his life. What's her name ..... uh .... the British gal with the frizzy hair (or the young one in the leather jacket) has a special on it.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Antiquities ministry starts inventory of artefact storehouses throughout Egypt - Ancient Egypt - Heritage - Ahram Online
As has been found in the past items will have been stolen. It also makes one wonder why this was not done long ago.
This action will have a positive effect also on researches. I've personally had occasion to deal with the incredible lack of catalogs to consult regarding a not little number of wide depots where a wide quantity of finds "rest" without even a simple label.