Just Ancient Egypt

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
"As the debate rages on, the recent discovery in Heliopolis has put the spotlight back on Psamtik I, offering a new opportunity to explore his role in linking an ancient northeast African civilization with a fledgling southern European one. Historians of the ancient world tend to agree that the linkages did see Egyptian motifs and techniques flourish in Archaic Greek art, architecture, and even medicine. What remains to be settled is whether the Pharaoh’s economic and diplomatic policies also helped to stimulate Western thought. If Yoyotte’s assessment is anything to stand by, then the balance of evidence suggests that Psamtik I’s most enduring legacy was helping to create the conditions for Western philosophy to begin. In a world haunted by the spectre of insular populism and xenophobia, this legacy stands as an eloquent reminder of the great potential inherent within inter-civilizational exchanges. "
Does Western Philosophy Have Egyptian Roots? | Issue 128 | Philosophy Now

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
There is a serious problem of managing the inventory held in Egypt, both portable and static. They did not have a catalogue of the holdings of the Egyptian museum and in fact are still working on it. They do not even conduct inventories of storage site on a regular basis or if at all. To do this the costs in server space and physically documenting the Egyptian national holdings would be in the hundreds of millions if not billions in cost.
The repatriation of Tutankhamun: can Egypt reclaim its ancient treasure?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I still have a feeling that there is some deliberate prevarication going on, and that they do really think they have something, but are hanging it out to the centenary. After all, it's not as if they have a time limit, and any potential tomb is not going anywhere in the next few years.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
I still have a feeling that there is some deliberate prevarication going on, and that they do really think they have something, but are hanging it out to the centenary. After all, it's not as if they have a time limit, and any potential tomb is not going anywhere in the next few years.
Or it will be a ministerial bun fight. Also they will need help if it is a full blown find.