Just Ancient Egypt

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Now that the bust of Tut has sold I wonder if The Egyptian Government will file a statement of claim in court?

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
This points even to the current issue. That they do not document and inventory there holdings. With even small parts of sculptures fetching thousands. They will have to try hard now to dig into see when or if this item was published. Th auction house was also not very transparent as to the provenance of the sculpture. They did not provide permits of export or date of removal from the original sight. Some more digging has to be done here. To put it to rest Egypt to file a statement of claim with the courts as a suspect stolen item. Then the provenance of the sculpture can be picked apart.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
This one just came out and it looks like they are confirming additional chambers in Tut's tomb. I wonder if his tomb was made for an Amarna relocation burial as in KV55. Then on Tut's death was re-purposed along with much of the contents for his internment. The chamber may be a cachet of mummies from Amarna for all we know. Or a neighboring tomb that has no found entrance in the area? Now if they can keep the politics out of it. All they need to do is drill a very small hole and use a mini fibre optic camera.

‘Secret chamber’ discovered in King Tutankhamun’s tomb

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
This points even to the current issue. That they do not document and inventory there holdings. With even small parts of sculptures fetching thousands. They will have to try hard now to dig into see when or if this item was published. Th auction house was also not very transparent as to the provenance of the sculpture. They did not provide permits of export or date of removal from the original sight. Some more digging has to be done here. To put it to rest Egypt to file a statement of claim with the courts as a suspect stolen item. Then the provenance of the sculpture can be picked apart.
Egyptians [also about Nefertiti's bust] have got a very strong argument: sure that object came from Egypt! The real problem is how and within which legal [or illegal] context.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Egyptians [also about Nefertiti's bust] have got a very strong argument: sure that object came from Egypt! The real problem is how and within which legal [or illegal] context.
The bust is a point of friction between Germany and Egypt. It also seems sketchy. However why is not Christie's transparent on the provenance of the statue. They only stated all was well in a press release. That is not proof.

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
I wonder if KV55 was stripped for burial goods on the death of King Tut. Trashing the coffin and shovelling it in?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I could say that as from the mid 19th century until into the 20th, Egypt was controlled by European banks and governments, the French and British, and predominantly the British ending up with the "protectorate", any laws made governing the removal of antiquities between 1867 and 1952 can have no moral authority as they were dictated by external powers.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
The bust is a point of friction between Germany and Egypt. It also seems sketchy. However why is not Christie's transparent on the provenance of the statue. They only stated all was well in a press release. That is not proof.
They are in a moral morass and know it, but I don't ever expect them to admit it as it's all about the $$$ and nothing else.

I'm not holding my breath, but I do wonder if one day teams of Egyptian "repo men" will appear in Rome to take possession of the Laterenense, Vaticano, Flaminio, Solare, Macuteo, Minervio, Dogali and Matteiano obelisks and take them back to Heliopolis, Karnak and Philae. Okay, it could be argued that as Egypt was a province of Rome when they were removed, then it was not theft but a transfer of objects within the same political entity, but a vast amount of other items since was just looting.

Last edited: