Just how much did the Hindenburg Line benefit Germany and hurt the Entente?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Certainly. And so did the Germans as well eventually.

In the German case there were centrally planned measures that seem to denote a certain casual disregard for the realities of agriculture, i.e. avoidable mistakes that didn't help any, like the great German 1915 "Pig Murder":
The Military authorities more or less legitimized the black market. Under Prussia Siege law (which was declared at the start of the war) the Military governors where more or less running everything, a complex modern ecnomy and suprisingly enough they really were not the qualified to do so. They did deals with various speical intrests, the industialists got large, very large profits (even by ww1 profiteering standards) unions in munitions industries got high wages, and special black market allowances, the general population get screwed. They defecit spending and stacking up and bills to pay at the end of the war, was basically handled by saying when we win the French and British will pay. Versailles would have been nothing to what the Germans would have imposed. German government debt was solved by hyper inflation. Worked well for the government , industrialists and those with wealth rather than money.

Reactions: Futurist

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
But Junkers were really just mainly east prussia,

"While Germany was characterized by large Junker estates and cartels, it was also the nation of dwarf-sized farms (60 percent of farmers owned less than five acres"
You could not be more wrong : East Elbia was Junkerland

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
which include east Prussia. I was not entirely accurate as large Junker estates were in a number of other places than JUST east Prussia.

My essential pint remains though, very large amounts of the German agricultural economy was very small farms.
You are talking about South and South West Germany were they had the Realteilung.

The big Junker estates were considered much more important for German agriculture. And they had far more political influence.

May 2017
Monterrey
That's true for all countries, no?
Of course, but other countries could mitigate the effect, or they could simply import food. What could Germany do? Fertilizer were running short, mechanisation wasn't a possibility nor imports. However, I don't have any information what effect the draft actually had.