Kami

Sep 2009
NC United States
Does anyone know where a good database is on the Shinto religion? maybe a list of the different Kami's? Also maybe a favorite?

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Hachiman is a god, where the kami are spirits more akin to fairies, trolls, and things like that. I think that the closest interpretation for us is probably angels however.

I am adding on here, so let me clarify myself:

They are are actually Kami but there are different degrees. Where Hachiman and Ameterasu would be considered actual dieties over say, a common tree kami, they are in fact still kami themselves.

I double checked under another name and still didn't see him yet they referenced Ameterasu. I will check some books I have and see if there is a possible alternate name that I am not aware of.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
In my copy of Japanese Gods and Myths, it states that Hachiman, while orinally Shinto, developed into a Buddhist-Shinto combination when he became the Defender of the Dharma.

I typed his name into the search engine on the link I gave you and some info popped up regarding the syncretistic nature of Hachiman as well. But checking their own page on those type of dieties I couldn't locate him anywhere. He is on the site somewhere otherwise that would be a glaring discrepency on this subject. Apologies.

Stu

Sep 2009
NC United States
Oh no problem, i was just curious, cause i like the military history alot and he ws considered the god of war to them, thanks for the input.

Isoroku295

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
In the Past
ya, I wouldn't mind reading up on other religions. It's easoer to evangelise when the other person knows he/she doesn't have to explain every detail of his/her religion to you lol

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Shinto has an amazing group of dieties and spirits. It is fun when people around the world still practice polytheistic religions such as hindu and shinto.