Kentucky History

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I like the story of Pompey, the black man who became a Shawnee and was killed at the siege of Boonesborough.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Big Harpe was captured by a Kentucky posse and killed on the spot by cutting his head off with a butcher knife. As his killer sawed away Harpe exclaimed "You are a god damned rough butcher, but cut on and be damned!"

For awhile the Harpes were with Captain Mason and his river pirates who operated out of Cave In Rock on the Illinois side of the Ohio but they were too nuts even for that rough bunch and driven out.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Big Harpe was captured by a Kentucky posse and killed on the spot by cutting his head off with a butcher knife. As his killer sawed away Harpe exclaimed "You are a god damned rough butcher, but cut on and be damned!"

For awhile the Harpes were with Captain Mason and his river pirates who operated out of Cave In Rock on the Illinois side of the Ohio but they were too nuts even for that rough bunch and driven out.
Big Harpe bashed his own infant daughter's head open against a tree because her crying was annoying him.

Sep 2019
Kentucky
Everyone knows about Daniel Boone, most are familiar with Simon Kenton, but there are so many other awesome frontiersmen from that time that are virtually forgotten.
My favorite is Michael Stoner, the best shot on the frontier, he once set out alone in canoe before anyone else and went as far as the Mississippi before heading south and traveling to the area around Nashville TN before heading back to Fort Pitt. He was wounded twice at Boonesborough, volunteered to warn surveyors in Kentucky prior to Dunmore's War, was one of George Rogers Clark men during his campaign against Vincennes. He just didn't have the charisma that Boone had.
Michael Stoner: The Frontiersman Who Was Always There - Archiving Early America

A few others are Benjamin Logan, William Whitley (his wife was also a great shot), James Harrod, John Gibson, Richard Henderson.

Of course George Rogers Clark always deserves a mention but seldom gets one.

Then there are the Harpe Brothers from the turn of the century, often cited as America's first serial killers. (Not technically from Kentucky, but terrorized it anyways)
These are great names, thanks! I know about some but others I'll look in to. I live in Lincoln County so I know some about Logan and a lot about Whitley. Boone is a given and I've heard of Kenton but Michael Stoner is an unknown.

Where was Fort Pitt located?

Thanks again!

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'm looking for unique or not well known facts or historic events about Kentucky. Any help appreciated.
William Goebel's assassination and death shortly after his inauguration. He's the only US state governor in US history to ever be assassinated.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
I have Daniel Boone in my tree as my first cousin, six times removed. That agrees with a lot of other trees at Ancestry, but there are a couple or so of disagreements. Anyway, his mother was the sister of whom a Linville (male in my line) married back in colonial Pennsylvania (Quakers). I had other ancestors who first settled in Kentucky, but moved on when new territories opened up for settlement, starting with Indiana. I don't know if I still have distant cousins there or not.

Jun 2017
maine
That agrees with a lot of other trees at Ancestry, but there are a couple or so of disagreements.
Off-topic word of advice: stay away from online trees. Some are simply copied (mistakes and all), some are poorly or totally unsourced, and many deserve a Pulitzer--in fiction!