Kentucky History

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
There were very few Shawnees with Caldwell went he went down on Kentucky from Detroit; they had other concerns at the time; I forget what though.
That is not correct, George Rogers Clark even led an retaliatory raid against the Shawnee town of Piqua in response.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Big Harpe was captured by a Kentucky posse and killed on the spot by cutting his head off with a butcher knife. As his killer sawed away Harpe exclaimed "You are a god damned rough butcher, but cut on and be damned!"

For awhile the Harpes were with Captain Mason and his river pirates who operated out of Cave In Rock on the Illinois side of the Ohio but they were too nuts even for that rough bunch and driven out.
There is still a Harpe's Head Road in Kentucky named for the site where his head was stuck on a tree branch.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
These are great names, thanks! I know about some but others I'll look in to. I live in Lincoln County so I know some about Logan and a lot about Whitley. Boone is a given and I've heard of Kenton but Michael Stoner is an unknown.

Where was Fort Pitt located?

Thanks again!
Fort Pitt became Pittsburgh, it was the most important spot in the entire region for decades.

Nobody remembers Michael Stoner, it is a shame. He was a total bad ass.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
That is not correct, George Rogers Clark even led an retaliatory raid against the Shawnee town of Piqua in response.
No doubt the Kentuckians thought Caldwell had a bunch of Shawnees.

I now live in a motorhome travelling around (just arrived in Scotts Bluff Nebraska) and I no longer have many books so I can't cite my assertion.

Regards

Last edited:
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
No doubt the Kentuckians thought Caldwell had a bunch of Shawnees.

I now live in a motorhome travelling around (just arrived in Scotts Bluff Nebraska) and I no longer have many books so I can't cite my assertion.

Regards
I think it was a mix of warriors from several tribes, but your assertion that the Shawnee were not the majority may be right. The British had practically every tribe in the old North West on their side and young warriors were often eager to tag along in hopes of getting a scalp or a horse to take home.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Looking into it a bit more, I think I was confusing Blue Licks with the attack on the Kentucky salt makers a few years earlier when Boone was captured and taken prisoner by the Shawnee. I found a source that stated it was mainly a group of Wyandots who accompanied Caldwell which makes sense since they were settled around Detroit at the time after seeking refuge from the Iroquois.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Is there anything to a story I heard some years ago? The reason Kentucky became famous for moonshine is because after the Whiskey Rebellion, fugitive Pennsylvania whiskeymen traveled down the Ohio to Kentucky and set up shop there, since there was less law and order in Kentucky at the time.