Kentucky History

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I want to visit Bourbon County. Is everybody there perpetually sloshed?
I was just in Lexington this past weekend. It is a fantastic little city with a lot of history. Boonesborough is just a half hour outside of town. While I was there they had a huge Latino Festival downtown, a nice farmer's market and a ukulele festival a few blocks down. Henry Clay's estate is also a tourist attraction, but I haven't seen it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I was just in Lexington this past weekend. It is a fantastic little city with a lot of history. Boonesborough is just a half hour outside of town. While I was there they had a huge Latino Festival downtown, a nice farmer's market and a ukulele festival a few blocks down. Henry Clay's estate is also a tourist attraction, but I haven't seen it.
Is southern Indiana similar to northern Kentucky?

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
Off-topic word of advice: stay away from online trees. Some are simply copied (mistakes and all), some are poorly or totally unsourced, and many deserve a Pulitzer--in fiction!
I have 3,800 people in my main online tree. So I do judicious copying, especially before colonial times. It's a way to pass time as a poor old hermit.

Sep 2019
Kentucky
I have Daniel Boone in my tree as my first cousin, six times removed. That agrees with a lot of other trees at Ancestry, but there are a couple or so of disagreements. Anyway, his mother was the sister of whom a Linville (male in my line) married back in colonial Pennsylvania (Quakers). I had other ancestors who first settled in Kentucky, but moved on when new territories opened up for settlement, starting with Indiana. I don't know if I still have distant cousins there or not.
Any idea where in Kentucky your ancestors settled?

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I have Daniel Boone in my tree as my first cousin, six times removed. That agrees with a lot of other trees at Ancestry, but there are a couple or so of disagreements. Anyway, his mother was the sister of whom a Linville (male in my line) married back in colonial Pennsylvania (Quakers). I had other ancestors who first settled in Kentucky, but moved on when new territories opened up for settlement, starting with Indiana. I don't know if I still have distant cousins there or not.
That seems to have been common. Boone moved to Missouri after complaining that Kentucky was getting too crowded. Kenton moved to Ohio.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
Counties that I recall, without checking my tree (assuming I have them correct) include Madison, Mercer, Shelby. And some cousin ended up in Simpson. One problem is that I don't have documented proof of birth of my direct maternal line great-great-great grandmother (Cynthia Anna Lee). But I'm going by scattered DNA matches and circumstantial evidence. I claim that family is the same as the big Virginia Lee dynasty. In that case, Ancestry says that Robert E. Lee is my 4th cousin, six times removed. And a female Lee connects to Abraham Lincoln, making him my 3rd cousin, five times removed. However, there were other Lees around there, so it may be possible that I'm really not connected to that Virginia Lee extended family. But over time it looks like I'm right.

Last edited:

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Fun fact, or at least it was a fact a good 10 years ago but may have changed, Bourbon County, KY is dry, meaning you can't sell alcohol, but Christian County, KY is wet. A little bit of irony, only in Kentucky.
Makes sense. The people making good bourbon whiskey shouldn't be the ones drinking it.