Kentucky History

Sep 2019
Kentucky
We've got a pretty good list of important people of Kentucky, next question, biggest moments in History of Kentucky? Battle of Perryville, Siege of Boonesborough, what else?

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Forgetting KFC and the Colonel!

One cool geological/ historical feature is Reelfoot Lake, formed after the massive New Madrid earthquake of 1811.

Reactions: cable1930

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
Jacob Wetzel moved to Kentucky in 1790 and became good friends with Simon Kenton. The Wetzels are mostly associated with the area around Wheeling WV, but Wheeling/ Fort Henry was very intertwined with Kentucky at that period. Lewis Wetzel's arrest by Federal troops in Limestone Kentucky for shooting an Indian led to a huge outcry on the frontier as pioneers feared tyranny from the new government.
Wasn't Wetzel one of those fellas who could load his firelock while on a dead run? Or is that ability a myth anyway?

pablo668

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
Perth, Western Australia. or....hickville.
I'm still trying to get my head around them not joining the Confederacy.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
I'm still trying to get my head around them not joining the Confederacy.
Several slave states remained loyal to the United States--Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland and Delaware. Evidently slavery wasn't as important, nor slave holding interests as influential as farther south. There were areas of Kentucky where rebel sympathy was strong, such as in the Bluegrass country and in western Kentucky around Paducah. The rebel Army of Tennessee contained a brigade of Kentucky troops but far more Kentuckians fought for the United States than for the rebellion.

When Bragg invaded Kentucky in 1862 he was disappointed and pissed off at the feeble response to his recruiting efforts in the state.

Note that some of the rebellious states contained areas where the people were loyal to the United States, usually areas that had few enslaved people or had strong commercial ties to the north. East Tennessee and western Tennessee along the Tennessee river were areas of strong loyalist sentiment and Tennessee supplied about 30,000 white soldiers to the United States army.

East Tennessee brothers in the United States Army during the southern rebellion; Robert and John Adair, 1st Tennessee Cavalry, United States.
A4D39BF1-EEC2-4A67-BB9C-A1B511B640F1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pablo668
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Wasn't Wetzel one of those fellas who could load his firelock while on a dead run? Or is that ability a myth anyway?
Lewis Wetzel (older brother of Jacob) could run faster than an yone and reload while doing it There is one story that is relatively well documented, where he challenged the fastest guy in a military unit to a foot race while at the same time loading his weapon and firing it faster than another stationary soldier could load and fire his weapon.

Reactions: Zip
Sep 2019
Kentucky
I think so, him and Simon Kenton. I believe the Native Americans had a name for Simon Kenton but I'll have to check on it.