Khasoggi's disappearance and the future of Saudi

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Practical question. Could he have gotten the document verifying previous divorce via Saudi embassy in the US? The Saudis would have never dared to pull anything here.

And another question. And old dude in love with a much younger woman walks into the embassy to get the documents necessary for his marriage. Isn't there a good way to reason with him? The Saudis have everything, the money, his key to happiness...I mean, can people ever learn to negotiate?
It’s not easy negotiating with absolute rulers who possess absolute power and who are not accustomed to having their motives questioned.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I know that we here all hv the benefit of hindsight. But still, the man made a big mistake. Perhaps he wasn't thinking properly. His heart dizzy with love, his head clouded by thoughts of romance & impending marriage. Going alone into the Consulate of an absolute monarchy known all over the world for regularly beheading folks - including members of royalty - for the slightest of offences, now that was certainly a massive error of judgement. Especially if you yourself hv been a persistent & high profile critic of the monarchy itself.
The absolute power of the Saudi government brooks no opposition. Fairness and equity are not part of the equation in Saudi Arabia. It’s government is completely alien to American values. Our only overlap is oil. Even in those places in Europe that still have kings and queens, there is no comparison because those kings and queens are not absolute monarchs. Saudi Arabia is a feudal society ruled by despotic monarchs who could care less about you, me, or the lamp post.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
What if indisputable proof if Salman’s involvement is revealed, or if the Saudi intelligence people arrested are scapegoated, contrary to the evidence. Wouldn’t either or both deligitimize Salman, perhaps destabilizing the regime and leading to demands for change?
You are assuming that the Saudi King and his henchmen give a flying fig about what you think.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
This may have already been pointed out, but since when does a fistfight or an interrogation require bone saws?
Yes, this is the best evidence that the Saudis had no intention of letting him get away from the start. They knew they were going to kill him. May the wrath of God strike these apostates down in the public square.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
It's going much as I anticipated; his fiancée tearfully giving her side on TV, theTurkish getting their knickers all out of focus , but actually doing very little, and the Saudis going through the motions. We will know the Turkish are serious when they start throwing shoes at the Saudi representatives. :)

As predicted, countries such as the US with massive interests in Saudi Arabia , are doing nothing.

I'm not being flippant, merely showing my cynicism and a belief in realpolitik.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
It’s not easy negotiating with absolute rulers who possess absolute power and who are not accustomed to having their motives questioned.
Yes, but to these rulers he would have been more of a political value as an "ex-dissident journalist" than as a "dead dissident journalists". Khasoggi was not a household name in the US, perhaps his uncle was, years ago, but not Jamal. Now he became the household name here.

And why did he become upset, what did he want, originally, an own channel on Saudi TV, I read? This is exactly how people would have negotiated in old times.

Similar History Discussions