Khasoggi's disappearance and the future of Saudi

Jun 2012
Malaysia
What, like force them to go ahead with buying your much vaunted THAAD missile defence system. In which case ya all wud hv to allow them to raise oil price up to US$100, at the very least. If not US$120. Or else, they might be forced to consider switching to a much less expensive version from Russia.

Last edited:

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
They have been as rogue as lucky ...:cool:

Regarding Mr. Khashoggi we can summarize who is he as follow ...

[What we know about Saudi journalist's disappearance]

NYT is well more comprehensive about his figure [explaining also his appreciation for the Muslim Brotherhood and the Arab Spring]. For Khashoggi, a Tangled Mix of Royal Service and Islamist Sympathies

I don't see how we can consider him an enemy of the Arab state [sure is ... was a political opponent of the Royal regime] or an active terrorist or a supporter of terrorists. That's a variable category that, according to the convenience of the moment, is enlarged with a certain levity ...

Sounds a bit like the journalists and protesters apparently routinely killed by the ex-Soviets running Russia. If he’s been branded an ‘enemy’ by some royal princeling, then of course he should be killed and dismembered without any semblance of a trial or any form of due process. Just blowing this off as somebody else’s business and no affair of ours may be technically true, but it underscores the cluelessness and the above-the-law behavior of those ruling the KIngdom. They may indeed “get away with it” because there is no one in Saudi Arabia to call these people to account, but that is no recommendation or statement likely to elicit a positive response. The thing is, the Saudis don’t care what you or I think, or what international norms of behavior they may have violated. Tough nuggies for us

As any visitor to the KIngdom will tell you, the Saudis are a rather ham-fisted, primitive people who fly on expensive personal jets. Oh yeah, they have a LOT of money. There is rather little to admire about the Saudis.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Why is everyone acting like this was some integrity full journalist and not a political hack? Are you all seriously defending the Muslim Brotherhood? Because this guy was a leader of it.
No one is defending the Muslim Brotherood, but wanton, cold-blooded murder is deeply repellent to me. Others may disagree.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Well, it seems rather obvious that the Saudis had the journalist killed, I mean, murdered. The blood is definitely on their hands. I do not know about the journalist’s political convictions and don’t care. The Saudis are clearly in-your-face killers. Their efforts to at first deny, then make up stories about what took place don’t hold water.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
As any visitor to the KIngdom will tell you, the Saudis are a rather ham-fisted, primitive people who fly on expensive personal jets. Oh yeah, they have a LOT of money. There is rather little to admire about the Saudis.
Maybe one admirable thing, they are probably less corrupt than they could have become. They have free education and free medical care for all of their own, and it is my impression that they take care of all Saudis, and it is a multi-tribal society. They don't work too hard, but the salaries for the Saudis are high. Of course they bring in Muslims from poorer countries to work as servants, but what it means is that the Saudis are not servants. That this gold rain is spilled on everyone, not equally, but still. Kudos to them. I don't know if it is Islam, or just a personal trait of Ibn Saud, but think of this - he could have stolen all the money from the oil for his vast family, leaving his new country poor. He did not.

Am I right in assuming that before 1932, tribal sheikhdom, as they call it, was a typical feudal system, and Ibn Saud who united the tribes was somewhat of a cross between Ghenghiz Khan and an absolute monarch with the power of Louis XIV of France? Am I right or wrong in viewing Saudi Arabia as living through own Medieval times, only with oil and jets?

If so, it is probably the wisest to let it develop and civilize at its own speed. There are several bad prognostic factors about the situation, one, the Saudis are not really used to hard work ethics as they did not need to work for too long. And another one, I just read about frequent consanguinity in their society till very recently, it will take a few generations to outlive its consequences.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
I wud not consider KSA as spectacular rich, for all their much vaunted oil resources. Their per capita GDP (nominal) is only about the same level as that of Greece, and not so far above that of Poland. They only hv this habit of splurging big money on sensational, high profile deals, like buying $200 billion worth of American weaponry in one go, for instance.

Similar History Discussions