Khasoggi's disappearance and the future of Saudi

Mar 2010

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
I am not naive; I am merely comparing with other countries.

It is true that the situation has changed, and as oil need will be decreasing, SA will get poorer. But from the same article that you linked,

"The Saudi government spends several billion dollars each year to provide free education and health care to all citizens, as well as a variety of social welfare programmes – even free burials. The government also provides pensions, monthly benefits and payments for food and utility bills to the poor, elderly, disabled, orphans and workers who are injured on the job.

Much of the welfare spending comes from the Islamic system of zakat, a religious requirement that individuals and corporations donate to charity 2.5% of their wealth; the money is paid to the government and distributed to the needy."

I understand, they didn't pay taxes; have to now, as I have read. It will be interesting to see if the tax is progressive. But, 2.5% from the weathly for charity.

What I want to say, SA does not sound only bad. But I do assume that true numbers in Islamic countries might be hidden. Likewise, one can not get true numbers about suicide rates, etc.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
It would seem that the KSA have now lost another journalist. he however was in jail and apparently tortured.
PressTV-Dissident journalist tortured to death in Saudi jail
This story , however, came from Press TV, an Iranian outfit that does all it can to destroy KSA credibility. (Which, currently, is not too hard!)
Not lost... just given the standard treatment...... Of course in Iran press freedom is all the rage

Anyway seems the media have lost interest with this story which is slowly being relegated to the level of stray dogs and local bingo results.....

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
President Trump thinks they released this news ahead of all the facts. Is there anyone on this site who does NOT think that MBS ordered the murder? Just askin!
The CIA has not made an official statement, this is the WP and CNN printing this news based on what they claim they know from unindentified officials....

There is a big difference between what "everybody knows" (or think they know) and what can be proven...

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
I am not naive; I am merely comparing with other countries.

It is true that the situation has changed, and as oil need will be decreasing, SA will get poorer. But from the same article that you linked,

"The Saudi government spends several billion dollars each year to provide free education and health care to all citizens, as well as a variety of social welfare programmes – even free burials. The government also provides pensions, monthly benefits and payments for food and utility bills to the poor, elderly, disabled, orphans and workers who are injured on the job.

Much of the welfare spending comes from the Islamic system of zakat, a religious requirement that individuals and corporations donate to charity 2.5% of their wealth; the money is paid to the government and distributed to the needy."

I understand, they didn't pay taxes; have to now, as I have read. It will be interesting to see if the tax is progressive. But, 2.5% from the weathly for charity.

What I want to say, SA does not sound only bad. But I do assume that true numbers in Islamic countries might be hidden. Likewise, one can not get true numbers about suicide rates, etc.

I've been to saudi arabia as part of my company's construction project and i was shocked at the proficiency of a typical saudi's english level--which was quite high. I guess as long as it doesn't touch anything concerning islamic law or q'ouran, they are providing good life standarts for their "saudi" citizens. I've also met some saudis who were quite open minded and were enjoying "as much as they could" when they are abroad but can't at their homeland.

I think the bad image and politics of the country originate from their absolute monarchy(saud dynasty) rather than an ordinary citizen, as from my perspective most ordinary citizens looked quite laid back and indiffirent about other countries and religions.

Similar History Discussions