Khasoggi's disappearance and the future of Saudi

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
These "Rogue killers" (A newly invented phrase) Randomly hired 2 jets from KSA , flew into Istanbul, happened to drop into the KSA embassy at a time when Kashoggi came in. I am sure the KSA government will explain it away, but I await the explanation as to how these thugs were let back into KSA.
Latest explanation:

Oops!

We meant to sweat him, not ice him...
The thugs were supposed to crack his testicles, not his skull. :injured:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
These "Rogue killers" (A newly invented phrase) Randomly hired 2 jets from KSA , flew into Istanbul, happened to drop into the KSA embassy at a time when Kashoggi came in. I am sure the KSA government will explain it away, but I await the explanation as to how these thugs were let back into KSA.
They have been as rogue as lucky ...:cool:

Regarding Mr. Khashoggi we can summarize who is he as follow ...

He served as an adviser to top Saudi officials, but later fell out of favour with the government.
He went into self-imposed exile in the US last year, and has written a monthly column in the Washington Post in which he has criticised the policies of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
[What we know about Saudi journalist's disappearance]

NYT is well more comprehensive about his figure [explaining also his appreciation for the Muslim Brotherhood and the Arab Spring]. For Khashoggi, a Tangled Mix of Royal Service and Islamist Sympathies

I don't see how we can consider him an enemy of the Arab state [sure is ... was a political opponent of the Royal regime] or an active terrorist or a supporter of terrorists. That's a variable category that, according to the convenience of the moment, is enlarged with a certain levity ...

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I am surprised the saudis let the turks conduct a search of the consulate..... normally such buildings are kept off limits.....

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
No I think the story is that they were acting without authorization but using state assets... and some of them may soon be feeding sharks in the red sea

Jul 2016
USA
Can anyone delve more into Khashoggi's political views?
A Saudi nationalist, member of, and major political activist for the Muslim Brotherhood. Friend and ally of major Al Qaeda figures including Bin Laden. He was a supporter and mouthpiece for the Muslim Brotherhood usurping the pro-democratic Arab Spring movements. He's a major critic of current Saudi regime led by the Crown Prince, who is promoting a toned down and moderate stance on Islam, pushing for more liberalism, while being heavily opposed by the extremists in his country, including family members, that led to a major counter-coup/purge last year and still enough of a threat that Saudi is under martial law. Previously, Saudi Arabia was the world's largest supporter of Islamist terrorist, the largest exporter of Wahhabist Islam (practiced by Al Qaeda and ISIS), with numerous govt institutions essentially controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood, the current Crown Prince is breaking their hold on power, Khashoggi was his biggest opponent, who was using his connections with western media, where he is their token Arab Muslim correspond, to pressure Saudi individuals to oppose the Crown Prince.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Yes, we are supposed to get angry
Imagine if the US resorted to murder of journalists critical of it and its head of state.
or imagine if the US tortured people in secret prisons,,,, or killed them without due process with drones..... or..........

But of course murdering someone in "plain sight" so to speak in a consulate is a new low even for the saudis..... one wonders what they were thinking and who is the genius who came up with that plan

Jul 2016
USA
or imagine if the US tortured people in secret prisons,,,, or killed them without due process with drones..... or..........

But of course murdering someone in "plain sight" so to speak in a consulate is a new low even for the saudis..... one wonders what they were thinking and who is the genius who came up with that plan
Probably a hasty plan. Mouse walked right into the mouse trap. Intelligence officers stationed in every embassy and consulate are sitting around watching tv drinking chai when someone walks in "Hey, you guys, you're never going to believe who just walked in downstairs!" Khashoggi probably knew the name of every Saudi enemy of Mohammed bin Salman, entire networks working to overthrow him. I can see how getting Khashoggi into an interrogation room could be seen as a big score. What happened after that, who the hell knows? But there is always a problem releasing a big name celebrity journalist after you just tortured the crap out of him for info.

Similar History Discussions