Kings and Generals youtube channel

Oct 2018
Sydney
Their videos serve as interesting and entertaining intros into different historical topics, although I'm disappointed that their 3rd Century Crisis video is only 10 minutes long.

Feb 2019
Serbia
I prefer Epic History TV due to their higher quality and better sourcing, though this comes at a cost of far less frequent uploads. I've seen Kings and Generals when they were called Nurikk and Phoenix and I enjoyed their videos and their animations but I stopped watching them frequently by the end of 2017, I still check their channel every once in a while and watch some of their Napoleonic battles if the books I read have poor descriptions but I don't watch them regularly like I used to. Their videos appear to be mostly accurate but are not in depth at all (So are most YouTube animated documentaries, but still.) and at certain points their maps and some battle details are sloppy, though it's usually nothing too much. They give no sources or a literature list in the description so I don't know where their info comes from.

Reactions: Gvelion
Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
For a channel that is brilliant on detail IMO check out Montemayor. Only a couple of videos uploaded but I've seen the ones on the battles of Midway (as about 600 YouTube comments put it, its 41 minutes and one is pretty much transfixed throughout) and Coral Sea, and and they are utterly brilliant. The way they lay out the timeline and time/space issues is so clear, it greatly enhanced my understanding of those battles ( I really struggle to imagine battlespaces from verbal descriptions alone). He only has a few videos as he hasn't got any deals with video game producers, it's entirely created by him without game footage to flesh out the visuals. I can't speak for the other 6 or so videos uploaded but the ones I mention are superb.

Oct 2018
Sydney
I recently went through their (so far) nine episodes on the Mongols. They're definitely entertaining, at least for someone like me who does not have a detailed understanding of the period. And I appreciate that they're now getting into the 14th century, a period of Mongol history that appears to receive less attention. But I was disappointed by the fact that the final conquest of the Jin Empire by Subutai receives no coverage. This seems like a notable thing to overlook. In fact, in terms of the information given, in 1215 Ghenghis captures Beijing and thus completes his conquest of the northern part of the Jin Empire, and then in 1259 Mongke dies while campaigning against the Song. They cover the campaigns leading up the capture of Beijing and those that follow Mongke's death, but they say nothing about what happened in between. But when and how was the rest of the Jin Empire conquered? And why were the Mongols later at war with the Song? Both questions could have been answered had they given some attention to Subutai's campaigns in 1231-35. These are serious issues to overlook. After all, China plays a major role in the history of the Mongol Empire. Moreover, Subutai's campaigns in China arguably represent the height of his martial achievements. Clearly I'm bothered by this.

Reactions: Olleus