Knight v Snail

Otranto

Ad Honorem
May 2013
Netherlands
Interesting. In the comments someone mentions: "The snail was a symbol of sloth and of those who are content with things of the material world at the expense of striving for the spiritual." That makes the most sense to me, they are battling a vice.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Interesting. In the comments someone mentions: "The snail was a symbol of sloth and of those who are content with things of the material world at the expense of striving for the spiritual." That makes the most sense to me, they are battling a vice.
This is exactly what I thought from just looking at the pictures.

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
It could be the sloth reference, or something more humorous. I heard one theory floating around that it could represent the Lombards, whose symbol was said to be the snail. I don't think anyone has a correct answer to this yet, other than they were common marginalia.

Though they were referenced in psalms

"6 God shall all-break the teeth of them in their mouth; the Lord shall break (al)together the great teeth of lions. (O God, break all the teeth in their mouths; O Lord, break all in pieces the great teeth of these lions.)
7 They shall come to nought, as water running away; he bent his bow, till they be made sick. (They shall come to nothing, like water running forth; and when they go to bend their bows, they shall be made feeble, or weak.)
8 As wax that floateth away, they shall be taken away; fire fell above, and they saw not the sun. (Like a snail that melteth away into slime, they shall be taken away; like a dead-born child, they shall not see the sun.)"

Knight vs Snail | Scéla

Jul 2011
I believe that Dante in his Inferno used a farting devil at the end of one of Cantos.

This was intended as a joke for when his poem was read out loud in public. Perhaps this last picture served the same purpose?

Otranto

Ad Honorem
May 2013
Netherlands
Idunno but whoever was writing those things, they were an odd bunch.
Searching Google (query: "medieval ass trumpets") I got maybe even weirder marginalia.

The penis tree:

Arrows in butts:

Gifted man:

I assume most are literal illustrations of sayings, but I can only guess as to what those would have been.

Dec 2009
Canada
And we thought that people in ancient and medieval times were different and more "proper" than we are. Turns out they enjoyed scat humour, and other crazy and absurd things. They were just as debauched as us!