Konigsberg connection with Frankfurt am Main

Nov 2019
Japan
Hi there,

I'm actually researching for my family tree, and have a historical question about Prussia circa 1880. I have a great-grandmother who has Konigsberg listed (in a British passport renewal document?) as where she was born, and in a section titled "10. Documents Produced" it refers to a document titled "Frankfort on Main" ...something I can't read... "1610 of 20-6-30" (see scanned document below). I'm just wondering if there was some connection between Frankfurt am Main and one of the three Konigsbergs at the time (Konigsberg in Bavaria, Konigsberg in the Neumark and Konigsberg), so that I can work out where my great-grandmother came from, and find out why Frankfurt was important in her passport renewal.
Walter Peter Inglott 2  - Copy.jpg

Kind regards,

Karl

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
If that's something like an abbreviation for "prefecture" it's not impossible that the mentioned Königsberg is the one in Bavaria. My great-grandmother was German as well and she has always told me to be from Baden, but when I checked where her little village was I discovered that it was under a municipality in an other land. You should check the status of Königsberg in Bavaria in the 30's.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I read box 10 as Documents produced: Frankfort am Main ppt [for passport] No. 1610 of June 20, 1930 meaning passport serial number 1610 issued by the Frankfort am Main passport office on June 20, 1930. I suspect your grandmother got her passport at the Frankfort am Main office because that was most convenient at the time. She could have been born anywhere, but was living near Frankfort in 1930. Unless someone has more experience with German passports than I do. I have zero.

Reactions: toaster
Nov 2019
Japan
I read box 10 as Documents produced: Frankfort am Main ppt [for passport] No. 1610 of June 20, 1930 meaning passport serial number 1610 issued by the Frankfort am Main passport office on June 20, 1930. I suspect your grandmother got her passport at the Frankfort am Main office because that was most convenient at the time. She could have been born anywhere, but was living near Frankfort in 1930. Unless someone has more experience with German passports than I do. I have zero.
Thanks, I suspect the same. I know her and my great-grandfather spent most of their time in Egypt, Sudan, and the UK. My great-grandfather may have had family links in Switzerland though, and it isn't too far from Frankfurt (as compared to the places they frequented).

Nov 2019
Japan
My theory currently, is that she travelled to Frankfurt am main to visit a relative, and renewed her passport whilst there, citing her relatives home as her own. She would have had 2 children at this point, and although both adults, I feel it would have been a little odd to move back into Germany, having spent so long away, and I'm not sure her husband would have wanted to move there.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Does a passport list a person's spouse? She used it in 1937 or '38 to establish that she was married to a British subject.

If she had lived overseas for many years, which seems very possible given that she was married to a non-German, then maintaining her passport would have been very important to her. In 1930, she may have had to renew an expired passport or she may have lost her previous passport and had to get a new one. If she was living overseas, it would have been far easier for her to get a new passport at a German embassy or consulate. It's curious that she dealt with the Frankfort office. I agree - maybe she was visiting Germany at the time.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The date of registration of the English document is November '37, the German reference is June '30 [if I see well]. The point is to understand what was she doing in Frankfurt. Overall I'm interested in what is said about the husband, Mr. Inglott, born on 17-5-1883 ... but where? Are we able to read it? Alexandria Egypt?