Lakhmids and Ghassanids - Christianity and Vassalisation?

May 2011
Karaj, Iran
When did Lakhmids and Ghassanids become Christian?

Also, at which points in time were they vassals to Persia and Byzantium, respectively?
The Ghassanids were christians from the very start, and members of the Nestorian churches of Christianity, which is quite different from Christianity as practiced in Rome (some Orthodox form of Christianity, which persisted in the Byzantine school). However the Lakhmid kings did not convert to Christianity in spite of a larger part of their people being Nestorian Christians. They stayed pagan for a long time, although they were gradually being Christianized by the time their kingdom was crushed by Khusrow II.

I think the rivalry between the Lakhmids and the Ghassanids began around the end of the 5th century AD.

Jan 2013
Anywhere
*cough* Rum is Arabic! *cough*

(I mean, 'Rum' does exist in the Persian language but it exists solely as a loanword.)
In middle Persian is Hrom, in Turkish/persian is ar-rûm, and of course rûm is Arabic are names referring to the byzantine Romans, but the name itself were used probably during the classical imperial era of the roman empire where arab tribes who made contact with them, but are widely used after the Arab conquest. Uhhh! Like for example: I am a rûm (roman) living in kostantiniyye (Constantinople) capital of Rumelia (land of the Romans). Sorry that's the only example i could give.

Jun 2013
USA
The Ghassanids were christians from the very start, and members of the Nestorian churches of Christianity, which is quite different from Christianity as practiced in Rome (some Orthodox form of Christianity, which persisted in the Byzantine school). However the Lakhmid kings did not convert to Christianity in spite of a larger part of their people being Nestorian Christians. They stayed pagan for a long time, although they were gradually being Christianized by the time their kingdom was crushed by Khusrow II.

I think the rivalry between the Lakhmids and the Ghassanids began around the end of the 5th century AD.
I think the Ghassanids became a Byzantine vassal around AD 529, actually.

May 2011
Karaj, Iran
*cough* Rum is Arabic! *cough*

(I mean, 'Rum' does exist in the Persian language but it exists solely as a loanword.)
No, Rum is present in many middle Persian texts from the 8th century AD onward as "Arum" perhaps because eastern Roman people were not Roman in essence ("A" is a negation prefix in Middle Persian), and the word used for Byzantines and after that the Ottomans was "Rum" which is a continuation of the former Persian tradition, albeit closely similar to what Arabs used (initial "A" is dropped in all of the words we use in New Persian). Perhaps a common Greek connotation is involved in this.

Jun 2013
--
... although they [Lakhmids] were gradually being Christianized by the time their kingdom was crushed by Khusrow II.
I've been wondering what was the reason behind their destruction by Khosrow II. If I recall correctly, the Lakhmids were vassals of the Sassanian Empire for many centuries and actually defended the southern border of their masters against the nomadic Arabs. Many scholars believe that Khosrow II's destruction of the Lakhmids was an inexplicable blunder for which Yazdegerd III paid dearly.

What do you think?

Last edited:
May 2011
Karaj, Iran
I've been wondering what was the reason behind their destruction by Khosrow II. If I recall correctly, the Lakhmids were vassals of the Sassanian Empire for many centuries and actually defended the southern border of their masters against the nomadic Arabs. Many scholars believe that Khosrow II's destruction of the Lakhmids was an inexplicable blunder for which Yazdegerd III paid dearly.

What do you think?
I do not know exactly why, but apparently نُعمان ابن مُنذَر (Nu'man ibn-i Mondhar) who was last in line of the Lakhmid kings was the first to become a christian. Also, Wikipedia says that Nu'man failed to aid Khusraw in his conquest of the Byzantine territories.

Jun 2013
I am a native of Rasht in Iran, but i live in Denm
There are many versions of why Khosrau II killed Nu'man, here are some i remember:

1) Because he failed to support Khosrau II in his war against the Byzantine Empire.

2) Because he did not give his daughter to Khosrau II,