Lancaster Skies

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
A recent indie "fan" film Lancaster Skies has been getting some very good reviews. It's an homage to the classic British war films of the 40s and 50s. Reportedly it got a standing ovation in one theatre. It's playing in select cinemas in the UK. No current plans for a worldwide release, but the DVD will be out in May and will include both the colour and black and white versions.

Reactions: Earl_of_Rochester

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Finally released in my corner of the world. It's less of what I was expecting in some respects, more in others. Here is my non-spoiler review:

For two guys making a movie in a garage out of their own pocket - ***** with an extra big cookie for effort.
Screenplay - *** Not bad, but could have been tweaked. Too much irrelevant back-story, not enough here and now.
Acting - **** Two of the actors are very, very good. The Flight Engineer is brilliant. Weak script is the biggest liability.
Special Effects - **** for a home-made film, * or maybe ** by studio standards.
Direction - ** I hate criticizing direction, but I feel this film needed more and better.

HISTORICAL ACCURACY - Zero. And I'm really heartbroken by that. When the movie came down to the actual ops, they really dropped the ball. From briefing to return to England, the only part of the raid that bore any semblance to reality was the engine start-up, and I'm pretty sure they even did that in the wrong order. Their bomb load wasn't even mentioned. I would be willing to forgive it if it weren't the fundamentally most important part of the film. It transformed the film from an interesting drama to a comic book.

Black and white version was NOT included in the DVD release, as originally promised.

Overall: Worth watching. It claims to be an homage to "the classic British war films" but it plays more like Masterpiece Theatre (which isn't a bad thing). I think this movie does a better job than most (maybe all) dealing with what aircrew felt between ops, and a worse job than any dealing with what they went through in the air.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
What was so ahistorical about it?
Flying in tight formations like they were in a daylight raid in B17s. No TIs. No sky markers. No H2S, No Gee. No guns test. Incorrect intercomm protocol. And, though I couldn't swear to it, I'd be very, very surprised indeed if any Lanc squadron fully loaded for Berlin ever did a formation take-off from a grass field.... Apart from the technical errors, they made what should have been a six-hour trip or so seem like a quick Channel hop: Up-Berlin-Home. Not even enough time to get tired, let alone cold or scared.

Like I say, the movie as a whole isn't bad, but this was the one part of it I was absolutely certain they were going to get right, so I feel a little let down.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
I should also mention, if I seem a little harsh: I've already sent my financial support in for their next project, which they are fundraising for...

Reactions: Earl_of_Rochester