Large populations that used to live somewhere but no longer do?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which cases were there where a large population used to live in a particular area but no longer does? So far, I could think of:

-Germans and Jews in both Eastern Europe and the former USSR. There used to be millions of them there but the Holocaust (for Jews), post-WWII expulsions (for Germans), post-WWII emigration, and post-WWII assimilation severely reduced their numbers.
-Poles in the Kresy (the eastern Polish territories until 1939). There used to be millions of them there but due to WWII-era ethnic cleansing (such as the Volhynian massacres in 1943), post-WWII expulsions, and post-WWII migrations, there are now much less of them there.
-Europeans in Algeria and various other parts of Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Eritrea, et cetera). There used to be a lot of them there (a million in Algeria alone), but post-WWII migration (in large part as a result of decolonization) severely reduced their numbers. Nowadays only the southern cone of Africa has a large European population, to my knowledge.
-Jews in the Muslim world. There used to be up to a million of them there but almost all of them have since emigrated--primarily to Israel and to a much lesser extent to France and other countries.
-Indians in Uganda. There was a sizable Indian community there until 1972, which is when Idi Amin expelled them. Nowadays AFAIK the Ugandan Indian community is much smaller than it was before 1972.
-Russians in the other ex-USSR countries. There used to be several million more of them than there are today--though the effect varies by country. For instance, Tajikistan lost almost all of its Russian population, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan lost (I think) slightly more than half their Russian population, and Latvia and Estonia didn't lose too much of their Russian population after 1989.
-Non-Hispanic whites in certain US cities or at least certain parts of them. Some US cities used to have huge non-Hispanic white populations but no longer do anywhere near to the same extent--for instance, Gary, Indiana, Detroit, Michigan, and Youngstown, Ohio. Also, some US cities still have sizable non-Hispanic white communities but not in certain neighborhoods which previously used to have them--such as the south side of Chicago. This occurred as a result of white flight over the last 60 or so years. Many whites fled various cities or at least certain parts of various cities and either moved to better parts of these cities or moved to the suburbs in order to escape things such as rising crime rates where they used to live.
-The former Yugoslavia saw some ethnic cleansing after its collapse--with most Serbs being expelled or fleeing from Croatia, southern Kosovo, and the Bosnian-controlled and Croat-controlled parts of Bosnia and Herzegovina while a lot of Bosnians and/or Croats were expelled from Republika Srpska (the Serb-controlled part of Bosnia).
-There were sizable Sikh and Christian communities in western Punjab before the partition of India but these communities have since almost completely disappeared as a result of emigration. Likewise, where were huge Hindu communities in Hyderabad and Karachi which have likewise since disappeared as a result of emigration due to them becoming part of Pakistan during the partition of India. Meanwhile, eastern Punjab had a sizable Muslim population before 1947 but no longer does due to the ethnic cleansing in Punjab that accompanied the 1947 partition of India. Also, for what it's worth, there is still a sizable Hindu community in Bangladesh nowadays but it's much less than it was before 1947.

Anyway, which additional examples of this have there been throughout history?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slavon
Aug 2019
United States
-There were sizable Sikh and Christian communities in western Punjab before the partition of India but these communities have since almost completely disappeared as a result of emigration. Likewise, where were huge Hindu communities in Hyderabad and Karachi which have likewise since disappeared as a result of emigration due to them becoming part of Pakistan during the partition of India. Meanwhile, eastern Punjab had a sizable Muslim population before 1947 but no longer does due to the ethnic cleansing in Punjab that accompanied the 1947 partition of India. Also, for what it's worth, there is still a sizable Hindu community in Bangladesh nowadays but it's much less than it was before 1947.
Only the Sikhs and Hindus moved to India, the Christians are still there ( ~ 3-4 million) and far from "disappeared". There is still small communities of Hindus in Karachi and Sindh, not as big as pre-partition but they still exist.

You could add Jammu to the list, it had a large Muslim population (possibly majority) and they were cleansed. While they still make 1/3rd of the pop. in Jammu they've been wiped out from some districts. I've heard Nepal had a big Bhutanese community before they were expelled recently. Then there's the First Nations/Native Americans across the Americas that have been almost wiped out, same with the aboriginals in Australia, and the natives in Hawaii.

Reactions: Futurist

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Russians were even expelled from regions of Russia, notably from Chechnya due to the whole Russian-Chechen conflict.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Russians were even expelled from regions of Russia, notably from Chechnya due to the whole Russian-Chechen conflict.
Yep, absolutely.

Also, I figure that I might as well mention the exodus of Christians from Iraq. Are there any other countries or areas with an exodus of Christians?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Only the Sikhs and Hindus moved to India, the Christians are still there ( ~ 3-4 million) and far from "disappeared". There is still small communities of Hindus in Karachi and Sindh, not as big as pre-partition but they still exist.
Huh. I stand corrected.

You could add Jammu to the list, it had a large Muslim population (possibly majority) and they were cleansed. While they still make 1/3rd of the pop. in Jammu they've been wiped out from some districts.
I'd like to look at a district map of Jammu again. Remind me and I'll then get back to you on this.

I've heard Nepal had a big Bhutanese community before they were expelled recently.
Why'd they expel them?

Then there's the First Nations/Native Americans across the Americas that have been almost wiped out, same with the aboriginals in Australia, and the natives in Hawaii.
Yeah, unfortunately that's true. :(

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Also, an example from Japan: the Emishi used to live on Honshu and fought against the Japanese Imperial Dynasty. In fact, the title of shogun is a shortened form of the title sei-i taishōgun which was first given to warriors that led expeditions against the Emishi. However, as we know, the Emishi no longer exist today.

Reactions: Scaeva and Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, an example from Japan: the Emishi used to live on Honshu and fought against the Japanese Imperial Dynasty. In fact, the title of shogun is a shortened form of the title sei-i taishōgun which was first given to warriors that led expeditions against the Emishi. However, as we know, the Emishi no longer exist today.
What ultimately happened to them?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, @Abaseen: Why were the Christians in Punjab much more supportive of the Muslim League (according to Wikipedia, at least) than the Sikhs were? Was it because Muslims were more hostile to Sikhs, and if so, why were they more hostile to Sikhs than to Christians?