Large-scale population growth in "northern" world countries due to climate change?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Large-scale population growth in "northern" world countries due to climate change?

Does anyone here think that Russia, the Scandinavian countries, Greenland, Canada, and/or Alaska will (eventually) experience large-scale (or larger-scale) population growth due to climate change (specifically global warming) making parts or all of these countries nicer places to live in (due to the fact that they are located pretty far north)?

Thoughts on this?

Apr 2011
Finland
Does anyone here think that Russia, the Scandinavian countries, Greenland, Canada, and/or Alaska will (eventually) experience large-scale (or larger-scale) population growth due to climate change (specifically global warming) making parts or all of these countries nicer places to live in (due to the fact that they are located pretty far north)?

Thoughts on this?
Maybe. Unless the global warming messes up the Gulf Stream and no one wants to live in Scandinavia and Northern Europe anymore.

Jul 2014
Pilipinas
The inhabitantss of cool region will seek another place with same climate conditions to stay there.I don't think the changes in climate will make favorable conditions for them to have large scale population growth.they will undergo adjjustments for many years!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't think the changes in climate will make favorable conditions for them to have large scale population growth.they will undergo adjustments for many years!
On the contrary, I think that many people in warmer climates might want to (at least ideally) move somewhere colder due to the fact that global warming will negatively impact their current areas of residence much more than it will negatively affect areas such as large parts of Russia and Canada.

May 2015
Sunderland
For reference:

If the temperatures in Europe rise to levels that would motivate people to relocate to Greenland then what we have is runaway global warming, it's all over, we're doomed. It doesn’t matter where you live, you'll still have crop failure and mass starvation to contend with. And what's that big daft map supposed to tell me?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
From what I have read the population growth in northern countries is nil. There are a number of factors that have attributed to this phenomenon. In essence, it's a mindset. I don't see that changing very much based upon one factor.

Aug 2014
Huntington Beach CA
On the contrary, I think that many people in warmer climates might want to (at least ideally) move somewhere colder due to the fact that global warming will negatively impact their current areas of residence much more than it will negatively affect areas such as large parts of Russia and Canada.
More to the point, global warming makes resources more feasible to exploit in Northern areas and land more arable. We are already seeing a transition happening in Canada's northern interior plains where a combination of pine beetles and wildfires, some smouldering over mild winters to blaze up again in the spring (possible in peat muskeg) are changing millions of hectares of jack pine into prairie. This is how the Great Plains BECAME grassland when the ice age ended.
Not that it won't take some time though. Even rapid growth is exponential growth. And political boundaries can get in the way. Especially given the recent trend for nations to expect one another to prevent their citizens from leaving their home countries. A lot will depend on to what degree police states become the norm worldwide.