Largest possible nation?

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Spanish and British Empire still are largest. around 78 millions kms2..100% America, around 15% Europe, 40% Africa, 100% Oceanie, 15% Asia...

I focused on today world for my post.

In regard to history, the British and the Spanish Empire didn't have their peaks at the same time. When Spain was at its peak in 1790, it controled, roughly, 20 million km2, while the British maybe 15 million (being generous). When the British Empire was at its peak in 1920, it controled 35 million km2, but Spain just 0.5 million km2

The biggest union of two states, in terms of surface, would be that of the British Empire (33 million km2) and the Russian Empire (23 million km2) in 1914 = 66 million km2. This is for me the real interesting point of this discussion, that moment in history when two extremly large political entities existed

If we look the issue from an anachronistic point of view, the largest union would be that of the British Empire in 1920 (35 million km2) and the Soviet Empire in 1945 (roughly 27 million km2), or the Mongol Empire if its size was 33 million. But this is of little value.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I focused on today world for my post.

In regard to history, the British and the Spanish Empire didn't have their peaks at the same time. When Spain was at its peak in 1790, it controled, roughly, 20 million km2, while the British maybe 15 million (being generous). When the British Empire was at its peak in 1920, it controled 35 million km2, but Spain just 0.5 million km2

The biggest union of two states, in terms of surface, would be that of the British Empire (33 million km2) and the Russian Empire (23 million km2) in 1914 = 66 million km2. This is for me the real interesting point of this discussion, that moment in history when two extremly large political entities existed

If we look the issue from an anachronistic point of view, the largest union would be that of the British Empire in 1920 (35 million km2) and the Soviet Empire in 1945 (roughly 27 million km2), or the Mongol Empire if its size was 33 million. But this is of little value.

Dear Frank....

Numbers are as a Statistics.... first....Who says what belongs to one Empire and what no..... Was it BRAZIL belonged to Spanish Empire? Yes, it was.... why is it not counted... but yes Australia.. when Inner Australia was exactly as Brazil... and only settled in 20th Century? Was Nueva Guinea a Spanish Dominion? Tahiti? Were they took posession or not?

The answer is yes... So.... Amazonas belonged to the Catholic King as Northern Canada or inner Australia belonged to Britain... not double standar.

Brazil was a Spanish Dominion because so it was stablished by International treaties:

- Bull of Donations
-Treaty of Tordesilla

Fist men to cross through Amazonas were not Portuguese (and not Russian... not even from Uganda).. but Spaniards.. .Castillian... MARAÑONES. And yes, they took possesion...

Later around 20% Brasil belonged to Portugal and 80% Spain.... and during the time the Portuguese Kingdom belonged to the Crown of Spain.... 100% Brazil belonged to Spain....as Northern Canada or Inner Australia to UK. Or as Niger to France (And I lived in Niger...in nineties.. and still in 1997 there were forgotten places... but Niger belonged to France)..

So.. the act of Possesion is the same... because a guy speaks in French.. his act and his flags are not better or more legal that if the act is done by a guy speaks in Spanish and used a Spanish flag!...

So.... Tierra del Fuego belonged to Spain by International Treaty (not only because Don Pedro Sarmiento de Gamboa took possesion) as Cornwallis Island belonged to UK.... and not more British in Cornwallis than Spaniards in Tierra del Fuego...

So.. not double standar (and not Wikpedia... I can write one article about the Wikipiedia manipulations)

British Empire had around 45 millions kms if we counted each land they took possesion.... as the Spanish one around 33 millions kms2...

Regards

Spanish and Portuguese Brazil

Similar History Discussions