last country to abolish slavery in Europe

Mar 2014
Europe
Hello. What was the last country to abolish slavery in Europe (I mean to abolish slavery in its particular country, not in its colony)?

I have found:
Timelines

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline"]Abolition of slavery timeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

which are good links, but without exact reply. It could be Holland according to the first link, but there is no date.

I have also noticed the the european countries they first were suppresing slave trade, then abolishing slavery in its colonies then finaly abolishing slavery in their own countries.

EDIT: I am not talking about serfdom, but about slavery

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Kingdom of Mercia
Yemen and Oman did it pretty late,some were around 1960s
Last time I looked, they weren't in Europe - and there seems to be some evidence that there are still slaves in Europe - foreign domestic workers, sex slaves etc - according to some definitions of slavery.

Jul 2014
Crna Gora
Last time I looked, they weren't in Europe - and there seems to be some evidence that there are still slaves in Europe - foreign domestic workers, sex slaves etc - according to some definitions of slavery.
Thanks! I thought Yemen is just next to Spain... I know they are not in Europe, I was just saying because 1960s is pretty late. Also, do we count sex slaves? Because I'm sure there is crazy mobster that has one.

Feb 2015
Belgrade,Serbia
Don't even try, I did, many times, he will just ignore your arguments and write whatever he wants. I'm still waiting for his evidence that Serbia killed FF.
It seems that provocations are his only arguments.

As for slavery,i think that the last country that abolished it was Crimean Khanate in 1783. after annexation by Russia.

Similar History Discussions