Last kingdom Anglo Saxon rehabilitation

Jun 2015
UK
The last kingdom for me is a great show not just because of the acting, direction, or setting. It's because it's about making the ANglo-Saxon period relatable.

Lots of British people still reckon that the Normans achieved everything, which is patently false. Shows like this highlight what history imho is all about - seeing how things develop over time, and the relevance to the modern world.

I think it goes too far in trying to present the Vikings as uncouth savages, which simply wasn't the case.
You can show the beauty of Dark Ages England without resorting to crude stereotypes of the Viking raiders as barely literate yokels with no concept of history.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
I think it goes too far in trying to present the Vikings as uncouth savages, which simply wasn't the case.
You can show the beauty of Dark Ages England without resorting to crude stereotypes of the Viking raiders as barely literate yokels with no concept of history.
It also portrays the Saxons as up-tight, oppressive, overly pious prudes with no sense of humor.

Similar History Discussions