Last kingdom Anglo Saxon rehabilitation

Jun 2015
UK
The last kingdom for me is a great show not just because of the acting, direction, or setting. It's because it's about making the ANglo-Saxon period relatable.

Lots of British people still reckon that the Normans achieved everything, which is patently false. Shows like this highlight what history imho is all about - seeing how things develop over time, and the relevance to the modern world.

Aug 2012
I think it goes too far in trying to present the Vikings as uncouth savages, which simply wasn't the case.
You can show the beauty of Dark Ages England without resorting to crude stereotypes of the Viking raiders as barely literate yokels with no concept of history.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
I think we should keep history in the History forii and TV and film in the TV and film forum. One suspects daily life was slightly more mundane that often sensationally portrayed

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
I think it goes too far in trying to present the Vikings as uncouth savages, which simply wasn't the case.
You can show the beauty of Dark Ages England without resorting to crude stereotypes of the Viking raiders as barely literate yokels with no concept of history.
It also portrays the Saxons as up-tight, oppressive, overly pious prudes with no sense of humor.

Feb 2016
Japan
I like it.
I have issues with some of stylistic choices.

The clean shaven short haired Saxons.
Those quilts they wear.
The square shields.

But the story and characters grew on me.

Similar History Discussions