Lawrence of Arabia - "You know what they'll do to him if they catch him alive"

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
Lawrence was popularized and became into this phenomenal figure thanks to an American photographer whose name I don't remember now. He was a famous nobody, and his so-called contribution to the invasion of the Middle East by the British is ridiculously overrated. If it is true that he was raped by the Turkish soldiers during his vixen years in the Middle East, now that's something I would like to see in a movie with all the uncut vulgarity.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Irrespective of how he became famous, it is ridiculous to underrate his contribution in that way, he was closely involved in developing the stategy for the Arab revolt, quite apart from the operations that he took part in personally, including the capture of Aqaba; since the Turks correspondingly offered ever-increasing sums for his capture, eventually £20,000, a small fortune in those days, they evidently did not think that he was a nobody!

Mar 2016
Antalya
Lawrence was popularized and became into this phenomenal figure thanks to an American photographer whose name I don't remember now. He was a famous nobody, and his so-called contribution to the invasion of the Middle East by the British is ridiculously overrated. If it is true that he was raped by the Turkish soldiers during his vixen years in the Middle East, now that's something I would like to see in a movie with all the uncut vulgarity.
Turks raping a Brit on a film is something we are unlikely to see. This would be considered an insult for both Turks and Brits. Turks for raping, Brits for being raped. For some odd reasons, I find this whole incident (if it took place) hilarious.

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
Turks raping a Brit on a film is something we are unlikely to see. This would be considered an insult for both Turks and Brits. Turks for raping, Brits for being raped. For some odd reasons, I find this whole incident (if it took place) hilarious.
Some relief for you, turing:

Lawrence first mentioned the alleged rape in June 1919, midway through writing his memoirs and Barr argues that he fabricated the event in order to discredit Arab militants in the precarious post-war climate.

Signs of Lawrence's alleged sexual deviancy first emerged when he admitted in letters to a friend that he paid a man to beat him with birches, to the backdrop of Beethoven playing on a gramophone.

Lawrence of Arabia 'made up' sex attack by Turk troops

From the first time I read about Lawrence, I always thought he liked Bedouins for other reasons, too.

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
He certainly had masochistic urges, but his sexual proclivities remain elusive; this is interesting:
Post tagged Homosexuality - TE Lawrence
I don't find Barr's alleged motive to be convincing.
Thank you for this, Linschoten. I will certainly read it.

By the way, I have TE's biography by Sir Ronald Storrs, "Lawrence of Arabia: Zionism and Palestine," published in 1940 (an edition of Orientations). I found it in a flea market in Brighton, England. As far as I can remember, Storrs denies his homosexual tendencies, too.

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
Average Anatolian midlander is highly unlikely to find Arab males attractive and rape them.
Who is the average Anatolian midlander? By the way, I think Levantine Arabs (Syrians, Lebanese, Palestinians etc.) are some of the most beautiful people in the world. Have you ever been to Lebanon?

Mar 2016
Antalya
Who is the average Anatolian midlander? By the way, I think Levantine Arabs (Syrians, Lebanese, Palestinians etc.) are some of the most beautiful people in the world. Have you ever been to Lebanon?
The greater ellipse from Kutahya to Gaziantep is what I call Anatolian Midland. To the East, it's mostly Kurds (I am not sure where Kurds were stationed), to the West, the soldiers are unlikely to be stationed to Hejaz/Yemen Front. Further more, we are talking about same-sex rape. And at that, we are talking about Anatolian Turks (males) raping Arab males. I don't think beauty of Lebanese women is relevant.

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
...Further more, we are talking about same-sex rape. And at that, we are talking about Anatolian Turks (males) raping Arab males. I don't think beauty of Lebanese women is relevant.
English language's problem: no gender on the noun ... afrasiab didn't said he's referring to women ;)

Similar History Discussions