Less lasting country?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Thinking to the long history of countries like UK or France a thought came to my mind:

which was, in Europe, the country [meaning a proper country, not a Lordship or something anyway "local"] which lasted the most little time in the history of the continent?

I know it's difficult to define a "proper country" in a historical perspective, anyway, let's make a try.

infestør

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
localhost
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Government_of_Western_Thrace]Provisional Government of Western Thrace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] comes to my mind but i dont think it ever evolved into a country (lasted 3 months)

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_of_Fiume]Free State of Fiume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
the period between 1918 and the early 1920s witnessed many failed countries, just in the territory of Hungary there was a Slovak Soviet Republic (twenty-some days), Republic of Banat (24 days), Republic of Vendvidék/Prekmurje (existing for 9 days), Serbian-Hungarian Republic of Baja-Baranya (8 days), Lajtabánság/Banat of Lajta (1 month). I don't list the also short lived People's Republic of Hungary and the Hungarian Soviet Republic here (also in 1918-1919) because they were just failed governments, but imo political continuity of the Hungarian Kingdom. There were also some short lived countries in the territory of the Russian Empire during the Russian civil war, i hope somebody from there can give a complete list.

Last edited:
Jul 2007
Australia
I just finished Norman Davies "Vanished Kingdoms" - there was one that lasted one day - forget the name of it.

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
Just take a quick look at all the countries that were founded during the Russian civil war. Dozens of small nations, some existing for ten to twenty years and some for only a few months.