Let us discuss Ukrainian elections

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
I am perplexed that Volodimir Zelensky, an undoubtedly smart man, but not a career politician, is leading. Are we seeing somewhat of a US variant, when people are disappointed in the candidates that have been occupying the corridors of power for too long, and choosing a well-known media person, but not a professional politician, in the hope that things might be different?

Is it the trend that we are going to observe in other countries, too?

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
Well, I hope he works out better for them than Trump is. Trump sucks, but our only other choice was orders of magnitude worse. If the choice is snatch grabber or gun grabber, I'd rather have snatch grabber. You'd think in a country of 300 million we could come up with something better than these 2 jokes.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Well, I hope he works out better for them than Trump is. Trump sucks, but our only other choice was orders of magnitude worse. If the choice is snatch grabber or gun grabber, I'd rather have snatch grabber. You'd think in a country of 300 million we could come up with something better than these 2 jokes.
You know, I personally don't like guns, but I believe that prohibition measures, usually, work the opposite way. However, I don't believe she'd take away guns, because gun lobby is wealthy.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The kookiness of leading candidates is the true sign of the voters deep disillusionment with political machines onanism

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
One interesting thing is that these elections show how much the image can be as important, if not more important than ideas: the "surprise candidate" is an actor that played the role of a just, honest Ukrainian President fighting relentlessly and fiercely the corruption in Ukraine.

The role he played in the series replaced the political program, the series made his need of campaigning a bit useless: he was known. Known as an incorruptible president of Ukraine.

It isn't insignificant that the images used in his campaign weren't of him as candidate, as politician, as person but he as a president in the series ...

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
One interesting thing is that these elections show how much the image can be as important, if not more important than ideas: the "surprise candidate" is an actor that played the role of a just, honest Ukrainian President fighting relentlessly and fiercely the corruption in Ukraine.

The role he played in the series replaced the political program, the series made his need of campaigning a bit useless: he was known. Known as an incorruptible president of Ukraine.

It isn't insignificant that the images used in his campaign weren't of him as candidate, as politician, as person but he as a president in the series ...
But this is what has worked. Because in the series, he showed them the paradise of future, economically strong, Ukraine. Now they associate Zelensky with that movie future. It is exactly Trump phenomenon, only Trump played The Boss, and because he was the Boss on the TV, people thought he knew IRL.

Zelensky was the movie-honest president who built up Ukraine’s economy. This is who people see in him now.

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
I have been to Kiev twice and Donetsk twice. My view is Kiev was more "European" Donetsk, more "Communist" By that I mean it had wide roads for parades, Rusty infrastructure, (I put my foot through the floor of a rusty tram!) Tanks on plinths and I think, Statues to Russian politicians.
Kiev had a more Western approach, wonderful looking women, Impressive Metro system, (albeit so deep that I swear the land around the platforms was getting hot!)
I just hope something could be sorted out.
3 Weeks after the last time I went to Kiev, The Maiden square revolution took place , so if anyone wants photos of what was destroyed in Kiev, just pm me!

Dec 2017
-------
There were 39 candidates participating. Ballot paper was 80cm long. LOL

Top 5 results

Volodymyr Zelensky 30.23% (showman). New to politics
Petro Poroshenko 15.95% (Current president of Ukraine. Businessman, billionaire). In politics since 1998. He's classic oligarch from eastern Europe.
Yulia Tymoshenko 13.39% . She's a rich woman. Also an oligarch. In politics since mid 90s
Yuri Boyko 11.67%. He held important top positions in management. In politics since early 2000. He is pro-Russian politician.
Anatoliy Hrytsenko 6.97%. He's well educated holding PhD in aviation engineering. He authored more than 100 scientific papers published in peer reviewed journals. In politics since mid 2000.

----

As no candidate obtained more than 50% of the votes, Volodymyr Zelensky and Petro Poroshenko will go in 2nd round election on 21st of April. The winner will be known on 22nd of April. Birthday of Lenin by the way. :)
Zelensky obtained almost twice as many votes as Poroshenko. Poroshenko even lost to Zelensky in his home Vinnytsia region. Also, not all voters who voted for Yulia Tymoshenko and Anatoliy Hrytsenko will vote for Poroshenko in the 2nd round election. No voter that voted for Yuri Boyko will vote for Poroshenko, as Yuri Boyko is a pro-Russian candidate. Many in Ukraine predict Zelensky will win.

Plenty of power is vested in Ukrainian parliament. For example, president cannot sack or appoint a minister. Ukrainian president is commander-in-chief of military and navy. The president also controls security service of Ukraine, who are quite good. Many have old KGB school. This is n important position given the situation in the east of the country.

The largest number of seats in parliament is held by Petro Poroshenko Bloc - 135. Petro Poroshenko Block is in coalition with People's Front - 80 seats. Opposition holds 150 seats, many of which will support the coalition should Zelensky win. Zelensky party is not represented in the parliament by his party at all. So, Zelensky won't be to do much should he become a president until autumn when parliament election will be held.

Formal education and political experience do not guarantee the candidate will become a good leader. Winston Churchill didn't have university degree only one year of military college. Alexander Lukashenko holds degree in pedagogical institute from a regional city majoring in history. He was a director of a small state farm before becoming a president. He grew up in a village without father. He's in power for 25 years and a well known politician in former republics of USSR. Not bad for a leader of a small country with a population of 9.5mln.

Vladimir Putin is well educated and intelligent. He's from a working class family. He holds a degree from a prestigious law school of St-Petersburg University and PhD in Economics. He worked as agent intelligence service in east Germany. He was colonel , which a high rank in intelligence service. Only best agents were recruited to work abroad in those days. But he had little political experience to be a president of country such as Russia. Between 1990-1996 he worked in administration of St-Petersburg city. In food supply. Between 1996 and 1999 he held various positions in Moscow. It's only between August of 1999 and December of 1999 he was prime minister. For 3 months only. He was appointed as acting president because of poor Yeltsin's health. Many oligarchs thought they appointed a puppet. He kicked out some oligarchs. Roman Abramovich, Boris Berezovsky, Vladimir Gusinsky. During his first term court jailed Mikhail Khodorkovsky. He was no-one in politics in comparison to Yeltsin and certainly Gorbachev. Many Russians state Putin is their best leader since mid 80s. He's self made from a family in which parents were factory workers.

Anyway, lack of education or experience does not mean the candidate will be a bad leader. And educated , experience in politics will become a good leader. If Volodymyr Zelensky wins he may be a good president for Ukraine. Unlikely, he will do much until autumn for the reasons I described above.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions