Let us discuss Ukrainian elections

Dec 2017
-------
I have been to Kiev twice and Donetsk twice. My view is Kiev was more "European" Donetsk, more "Communist" By that I mean it had wide roads for parades, Rusty infrastructure, (I put my foot through the floor of a rusty tram!) Tanks on plinths and I think, Statues to Russian politicians.
Kiev had a more Western approach, wonderful looking women, Impressive Metro system, (albeit so deep that I swear the land around the platforms was getting hot!)
I just hope something could be sorted out.
3 Weeks after the last time I went to Kiev, The Maiden square revolution took place , so if anyone wants photos of what was destroyed in Kiev, just pm me!
Kiev is the capital with a history of more than 1000 years. Donetsk is an industrial city founded in the 19th century. If you want to see a beautiful city in Ukraine, then Lviv. It's most beautiful city of Ukraine unlike any other.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I am perplexed that Volodimir Zelensky, an undoubtedly smart man, but not a career politician, is leading. Are we seeing somewhat of a US variant, when people are disappointed in the candidates that have been occupying the corridors of power for too long, and choosing a well-known media person, but not a professional politician, in the hope that things might be different?

Is it the trend that we are going to observe in other countries, too?
Yeah, I suspect that Ukrainians are fed up with their country's poor economic performance over the last three decades (Ukraine never left the chaotic 1990s) and thus feel that even voting for a comedian might result in better outcomes for them. Honestly, if I was in their shoes, I'd probably do the same thing.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You know, I personally don't like guns, but I believe that prohibition measures, usually, work the opposite way. However, I don't believe she'd take away guns, because gun lobby is wealthy.
That, and Republicans would have controlled the US Congress.

Also, AFAIK, Democrats aren't actually advocating to take all guns away. Rather, AFAIK, Democrats would still allow guns for hunting and self-defense.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Formal education and political experience do not guarantee the candidate will become a good leader. Winston Churchill didn't have university degree only one year of military college. Alexander Lukashenko holds degree in pedagogical institute from a regional city majoring in history. He was a director of a small state farm before becoming a president. He grew up in a village without father. He's in power for 25 years and a well known politician in former republics of USSR. Not bad for a leader of a small country with a population of 9.5mln.

Vladimir Putin is well educated and intelligent. He's from a working class family. He holds a degree from a prestigious law school of St-Petersburg University and PhD in Economics. He worked as agent intelligence service in east Germany. He was colonel , which a high rank in intelligence service. Only best agents were recruited to work abroad in those days. But he had little political experience to be a president of country such as Russia. Between 1990-1996 he worked in administration of St-Petersburg city. In food supply. Between 1996 and 1999 he held various positions in Moscow. It's only between August of 1999 and December of 1999 he was prime minister. For 3 months only. He was appointed as acting president because of poor Yeltsin's health. Many oligarchs thought they appointed a puppet. He kicked out some oligarchs. Roman Abramovich, Boris Berezovsky, Vladimir Gusinsky. During his first term court jailed Mikhail Khodorkovsky. He was no-one in politics in comparison to Yeltsin and certainly Gorbachev. Many Russians state Putin is their best leader since mid 80s. He's self made from a family in which parents were factory workers.

Anyway, lack of education or experience does not mean the candidate will be a bad leader. And educated , experience in politics will become a good leader. If Volodymyr Zelensky wins he may be a good president for Ukraine. Unlikely, he will do much until autumn for the reasons I described above.
I did not say anything about formal education. Formal education- wise, Zelensky is a lawyer. He was also playing for the KVN (a humor TV show) for the Ukrainian team. Former KVN players are unique people. They are super smart, have artistic talent, and are very quick thinkers. They all have superior IQs. (In the US, Andy Borowitz could make it to the KVN - a Harvard-educated man who has such sharp wit that he becomes top-paid satirist).

So Zelensky comes from a brilliant pool. It is not always the predictor of a good politician, though. (Think Einstein, naive through and through).

Churchill, btw, came from a very politically-tied family. His father was once the most famous parliament member and a writer. There were years of politics for Churchill’s family.

I am thinking that a person with former acting or athletic background has a higher chance to be elected in general. It is not about guts, rather, the ability to present a certain body language, good nonverbal communication. There was a striking study done about it about 15 years ago. So Zelensky, who is relatively young (41), good-looking, is known from the media (played the president) and humorous, does not need to be the brilliant orator like Churchill was.

In today’s world, especially among young people, visual part is important. That Zelensky makes short, funny, comments, is even better, no one can listen to long talks.

I think that George Clooney, John Travolta or Robin Wright might have a better chance than career politicians.

Last edited:
Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
Hi Lexell,
Putin is no idiot as you do not become head of the KGB/FSB by being Mr Nice Guy! However I do wonder if he is going to keep the Ukraine under control!
If Zelensky wins,Zelensky's life will become a good deal harder, but he will have the support of the western nations. Stealing Crimea may be Putin's downfall and if he thinks he is going to do the same against Latvia , Lithuania and Estonia, It could be a big problem!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hi Lexell,
Putin is no idiot as you do not become head of the KGB/FSB by being Mr Nice Guy! However I do wonder if he is going to keep the Ukraine under control!
If Zelensky wins,Zelensky's life will become a good deal harder, but he will have the support of the western nations. Stealing Crimea may be Putin's downfall and if he thinks he is going to do the same against Latvia , Lithuania and Estonia, It could be a big problem!
He won't touch the Baltic countries since they are NATO members.

Similar History Discussions