Let us discuss Ukrainian elections

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Russia will undoubtedly be upset if Ukraine joins NATO. It will have lost the last of its "Buffer" countries!
I hope it won't happen but imo it would be vetoed anyway, due to its instabile quasy-failed state who needs that pain in the.... It is good as it is, we should also not lose Ukraine as a buffer from Russia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
With the right leadership, Ukraine has great potential. I suspect that it has relatively high levels of human capital--though we'll obviously have to wait for the results of this year's PISA exam to get a better idea of this.

Of course, with a more stable and better off Ukraine, there are going to be less Ukrainians who are going to want to move to other Eastern European countries--and Eastern Europe needs Ukrainians to combat population decline (especially since it doesn't want Muslims and Africans).

Dec 2017
-------
Hi Lexell,
Putin is no idiot as you do not become head of the KGB/FSB by being Mr Nice Guy! However I do wonder if he is going to keep the Ukraine under control!
If Zelensky wins,Zelensky's life will become a good deal harder, but he will have the support of the western nations. Stealing Crimea may be Putin's downfall and if he thinks he is going to do the same against Latvia , Lithuania and Estonia, It could be a big problem!
Several large nations have 'sacred' regions , if I may use this word. Crimea , especially Sevastopol city is that region and city for Russia. Crimeans are saying we were occupied by Ukraine. Crimea was handed as a bag of potatoes to Ukraine by Khrushchev in 1954 . Ten or one hundred times economic sanctions, even instigation of war against Russia , and Russians won't give up Crimea. I won't go in details why this is so. But if you want I will write.

PS Khrushchev was an idiot. He even wanted to give Brest region (Beylorussian SSR) to Ukrainian SSR in 1939. Belarusians had to go to Kremlin to convince authorities Brest region is Belarusian despite most southern districts of Brest region ,on the border , speak a transitional dialect between standard Ukrainian and standard Belarusian. Imagine if that happened and two groups of people (Ukrainian and Belarusian languages are more similar to each other, than each to Russian) had to fight. Khrushchev was an idiot. Shoe banging idiot. Shoe-banging incident - Wikipedia

If not for him, Russians and Ukrainians, especially Crimeans would not have this problem today. PS He was an idiot for other reasons too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist
Dec 2017
-------
When 'green men' Russian soldiers came to Crimea in 2014, children were bringing flowers and presents to them. Regular folks of the world didn't know who those were. Crimeans knew they were Russians soldiers.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Several large nations have 'sacred' regions , if I may use this word. Crimea , especially Sevastopol city is that region and city for Russia. Crimeans are saying we were occupied by Ukraine. Crimea was handed as a bag of potatoes to Ukraine by Khrushchev in 1954 . Ten or one hundred times economic sanctions, even instigation of war against Russia , and Russians won't give up Crimea. I won't go in details why this is so. But if you want I will write.
I would only amend a bit that: most nations have "sacred regions", "red lines", not just several large nations. Kosovo would be an example.

PS Khrushchev was an idiot. He even wanted to give Brest region (Beylorussian SSR) to Ukrainian SSR in 1939. Belarusians had to go to Kremlin to convince authorities Brest region is Belarusian despite most southern districts of Brest region ,on the border , speak a transitional dialect between standard Ukrainian and standard Belarusian. Imagine if that happened and two groups of people (Ukrainian and Belarusian languages are more similar to each other, than each to Russian) had to fight. Khrushchev was an idiot. Shoe banging shoe idiot. Shoe-banging incident - Wikipedia

If not for him, Russians and Ukrainians, especially Crimeans would not have this problem today. PS He was an idiot for other reasons too.
I'm not totally convinced that Hrushchiov was a total idiot (or other commi leaders).

There were a lot of "bags of potatoes" handed left and right. And if anyone is looking a bit closer, practically all were ticking bombs. Bombs that did explode.

All the "small" wars CCCP space experienced after it's dissolution, (as Yugoslavia too, BTW) were related with those "bags of potatoes" handed over.

Dec 2017
-------
I hope it won't happen but imo it would be vetoed anyway, due to its instabile quasy-failed state who needs that pain in the.... It is good as it is, we should also not lose Ukraine as a buffer from Russia.
What's wrong with Russia becoming close to EU in every aspect? About 10 years ago Vladimir Putin stated we want united Europe. He said: Russia wants a union from 'Lisbon to Vladivostok'. He was sincere : The End of “Europe from Lisbon to Vladivostok”

Russia was showed a door, because White House has influence on EU. USA and USSR/Russia have had bad relations since 1946.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What's wrong with Russia becoming close to EU in every aspect? About 10 years ago Vladimir Putin stated we want united Europe. He said: Russia wants a union from 'Lisbon to Vladivostok'. He was sincere : The End of “Europe from Lisbon to Vladivostok”

Russia was showed a door, because White House has influence on EU. USA and USSR/Russia had bad relations since 1946.
Having Russia join the EU would have been nice--if it would have actually stopped killing exiles who are opposed to the Russian regime (such as Alexander Litvinenko--who was assassinated--and Sergey Skripal--who survived an attempted assassination).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
By that logic, though, NATO should have never expanded into the Baltics.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
So, the Baltics were actually able to get their house in order in time--unlike the Georgians and the Ukrainians?