Let us discuss Ukrainian elections

Nov 2015
Kyiv
Dir, it depends on who is speaking Ukrainian. When it is Timoshenko, I understand everything. We recently watched some movie with Zelensky and Koshevoy in Ukrainian (about divorce) and understood everything. When it is someone from West Ukraine, I understand 20%.
Zelensky and Tymoshenko grew up in Russian-speaking families. And, in fact, their Ukrainian is a Russian word-liner, where Russian words are replaced by Ukrainian words from a very limited lexicon. They grew up in the part of Ukraine that was subjected to severe Russification over the past two centuries.
Zelensky is not a Ukrainian at all, but a Jew. Yulia Tymoshenko is also difficult to call ethnic Ukrainian. Her maiden name is Grigyan. For both of them, the Ukrainian language is essentially not native.

I do not see any particular specifics in the language of Western Ukrainians. There use a dozen of everyday words from a local dialect, and nothing more. And their spoken Ukrainian language is much more correct and adequate than that of residents of Kiev or the east of Ukraine. And I think that's why you don't understand them well.

Last edited:

Decembrist

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
the Nile to the Euphrates
As a side note my language /southern slavic/ was heavily Russified in the last decades of XIX century during its 'deturkification' process / Russian loanwords were used to fill the 'gaps'.
It is very interesting, I was not aware of this fact. Blagodaryu. Apparantely, on more reason why I can understand Bulgarian better than Ukrainian and Belarusian.

Oct 2015
Norway
I think there are two important lessons to be learnt from the Ukrainian election.

- People in the Ukraine are so sick of the rampant corruption, they elected a comedian.
- The new president is a Jew, making a lie of the Russian propaganda that Ukraine is a country of "fascists".

Mar 2013
the Nile to the Euphrates
I think there are two important lessons to be learnt from the Ukrainian election.

- People in the Ukraine are so sick of the rampant corruption, they elected a comedian.
- The new president is a Jew, making a lie of the Russian propaganda that Ukraine is a country of "fascists".
Ukraine is the second country in the world where both president and prime minister are Jewish :cool:

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Zelensky and Tymoshenko grew up in Russian-speaking families. And, in fact, their Ukrainian is a Russian word-liner, where Russian words are replaced by Ukrainian words from a very limited lexicon. They grew up in the part of Ukraine that was subjected to severe Russification over the past two centuries.
Zelensky is not a Ukrainian at all, but a Jew. Yulia Tymoshenko is also difficult to call ethnic Ukrainian. Her maiden name is Grigyan. For both of them, the Ukrainian language is essentially not native.

I do not see any particular specifics in the language of Western Ukrainians. There use a dozen of everyday words from a local dialect, and nothing more. And their spoken Ukrainian language is much more correct and adequate than that of residents of Kiev or the east of Ukraine. And I think that's why you don't understand them well.
@Dir, Koshevoy is Ukrainian, and as you can imagine, in a Ukrainian movie, there are at least a dozen actors speaking Ukrainian.

No, I think Timoshenko simply enunciates the sounds well.

"Zelensky is not a Ukrainian at all, but a Jew." simply makes no sense, sorry. So, a Ukrainian-Jewish person doesn't speak proper Ukrainian?

As to western Ukrainians, I think I did not understand them well because their dialect might be closer to Polish? I am not sure, just noticed the difference. It ought to exist, here in the US they sometimes can tell, what part of a state the person comes from judging by the dialect. Surely the large country has different dialects.

Similar History Discussions