Let's say the Third Reich won, or at least survived. Who becomes Hitler's successor?

Feb 2017
State of Gold
Let's assume that in WWII (if there even is one in this parallel universe) that the Nazi-led Third Reich wins the war, or at least survives as the same state led by the Nazi regime. Hitler would eventually grow old, so how would the Nazis and/or Hitler decides who is the next "Fuhrer?" Would they do it by selecting qualified individuals from the highest offices in Nazi Germany, or would Hitler pull a Kim Ill-Sung and create a "dynasty" where his descendants (probably Eva Braun's if this were to happen) and their descendants are in charge of Germany? Is there now a fancy ceremony whenever a new Fuhrer takes charge in a similar vein to a coronation of a King or the inauguration of a President?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I doubt Hitler would have had any children with Eva Braun or anyone else. He was extremely bashful in the sex department and probably died a virgin. One theory is that his intense political ambition was a form of compensation for his sexual inadequacies.

Another factor is his insane paranoia in the last year or two of his life. That would have only gotten worse. His choice of Doenitz as his successor in 1945 came as a surprise and was the result of his distrust of everyone else. Most likely, if Hitler had lived many more years, he would have refused to name a successor, leaving a power vacuum after his death and competitive grabs for power among the leading personalities of the Reich, perhaps even a civil war.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I doubt Hitler would have had any children with Eva Braun or anyone else. He was extremely bashful in the sex department and probably died a virgin. One theory is that his intense political ambition was a form of compensation for his sexual inadequacies.
Some believe Hitler may have had syphilis after which he abstained from intercourse. It is likely he never had sex with Eva Braun since she is known to have said he was never "a man" to her.

He actually named Adm.Doenitz as his successor and it was he who signed the surrender documents as Head of State.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16341329

Last edited:

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
I would likely go with the fight over the successor -- where in it would be a toss up between some random General, one of the inner circle, or Himmler (cold shiver comes up my spine thinking of that luney with more power).

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I would likely go with the fight over the successor -- where in it would be a toss up between some random General, one of the inner circle, or Himmler (cold shiver comes up my spine thinking of that luney with more power).
Himmler was a weak man. Without Hitler backing him, he'd be nothing. That's the reason Hitler put him in charge of the SS. Hitler sized Himmler up as someone who couldn't stand on his own.

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
You forget about the strength behind Himmler - the inner circle of the SS would follow him and thus the rest of SS would follow him. Thus, an elite army within the German army would have the power to take power. We must also remember at the end of the war Himmler did attempt to negotiate peace with the allies betraying Hitler and taking a good part of the SS that was guarding Berlin from Russian attack with him. And we must not forget that Himmler was the sadist forming the Einsatzgruppen, sent agents around the world using pseudoscience to find Aryan roots, built extermination camps, and used slave-labor to enlarge his personal palace for the his personal "knightly order".

Last edited:
like all these 'what if..?' threads, it depends on the details.

it depends on what shape - both militarily and politically - the German military is in, likewise the SS, it depends on how long Hitler clings on to life for and to what extent he's still the power on the throne or whether his various illnesses have made him subject to the powers behind the throne.

is he Henry VI, a barely concsious puppet, or Henry VIII, king in every sense until his last breath?

how great a role do the foreign powers play in influencing events - do they have client factions to whom they may wish to play kingmaker?

my bet is on the German Military - Himmler is Hitlers puppet, and the SS as well as the military know that, without Hitler he's nothing. the outside powers may also prefer the German military as being more rational players than the loons of the SS and party machine...

(i'm assuming that for the backdrop for this scenario, we're looking not at the complete defeat of Germany as in May 1945, but a rather messy, unsatisfactory truce on the German borders caused by Allied exhaustion and disunity and suspicion in the winter of 1944/45, with Hitler popping his clogs within 1945/6...?.

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reinhard Heydrich is the obvious candidate. Even if Hitler named another candidate, Heydrich would have progressively taken control a la Stalin.

Aug 2015
uk
Well Hitler had already decided Goering was his successor 1939. Hitler probably valued loyalty above all other qualities, and he was confident that Goering - unlike certain others - would not try to edge him out and become Fuhrer. Obviously things changed during the course of the war, but if Germany had won it would have meant that Herman's Luftwaffe had done their job.

Whether Goring actually got the position would be determined on how he got the job of Fuhrer; if Hitler was still alive he would have had no problem, but if Adolf had been assassinated then Bormann would probably have been a big factor when it came to determining who would lead Germany. My thoughts are that Goering would realise this and keep Bormann onside to ensure he safe succession.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Reinhard Heydrich is the obvious candidate. Even if Hitler named another candidate, Heydrich would have progressively taken control a la Stalin.
I don't think he was the obvious candidate. He was feared by other Nazies to the extent that they probably would oppose his accession. In any case, he was assassinated in Prague in 1942 by agents of the Czech government-in-exile based in London.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions