Let's try and define religion ...

Mar 2018
USA
Is this particular thread now nothing more than being about pushing theistic ideas and anti-theistic ideas?

I guess I was hoping for an anthropological discussion about the definition rather than a metaphysical discussion about ontological conditions for the beginning of the universe and such. We are here now on Earth and people believe in different things due to something or other.

Maybe it would be worth considering the behavioral benefits or psychology of this in regards to how we position ourselves within the world - things like comfort and change? How ritual outlines certain feelings of unity and identity?

One critique I've read of Geertz is how he doesn't go into detail about how symbolism comes about. There are evolutionary options here entwined in cognitive functions and memory I believe.
Have you read Julian Jaynes, Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, which is the theory I believe in.

A short book is Minds of the Bible wrote by a Rabbi.

Mar 2018
USA
BTW, as an aside I recommend you Louis Dupré's book Symbols of the Sacred, if you can't find it otherwise you can "borrow" it for 14 days from https://archive.org/details/symbolsofsacred00lou, and read it using Adobe Digital Editions. You can read a few words about Louis Dupré e.g. at https://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/educational-magazines/dupre-louis-1925, a short review of the book is available at https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/15665399.2001.10819718.
I agree with him about myths, oral traditions told through the years, added to and subtracted from, just like the fish story, not based in reality.

The anchor was the first sign of Christianity and it actually means safety at a port or arriving at a destination, a sign of comfort, but the cross is a sign of pain and death.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Anchor (as Symbol)

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
The anchor was the first sign of Christianity and it actually means safety at a port or arriving at a destination, a sign of comfort, but the cross is a sign of pain and death.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Anchor (as Symbol)
The cross is a symbol of life, not of pain an death, this is why it is called "the tree of life" and "life-giving".

In the first image you can see death defeated through the cross.

Last edited:

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I agree with him about myths, oral traditions told through the years, added to and subtracted from, just like the fish story, not based in reality.
The belief that they are "not based in reality", whatever it would mean, is certainly not Louis Dupré's.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
USA
The belief that they are "not based in reality", whatever it would mean, is certainly not Louis Dupré's.
From your link:
The word is, once more, the central topic of the fourth chapter, ‘The Myth and its Survival’. Myths are verbally developed symbols, according to DuprØ. They are reective by nature, but in a specic, non-rational way. Many scholars of myth have related myths to an unconscious origin. Myth is said to have a two fold function, a psychological (as integrating the individual’s self), and a sociological one. The last is relevant because in sociology one meets the positivist’s view that myth is fundamentally opposed to rational thinking. This thesis has been rejected by others who argue that mythical thinking is as logical and accurate as science.
Myth is not historical. The exodus is a myth as it didn't happen the way its described in the OT. Jonah is a myth, not real.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
USA
The cross is a symbol of life, not of pain an death, this is why it is called "the tree of life" and "life-giving".

In the first image you can see death defeated through the cross.
The cross is a symbol of death. What I see is a dead man on a cross.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal

Yes, it's true, you see a man on the cross.
I am Catholic and I believe in Jesus - how I believe in God.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
What you see is Someone Who defeated death through His death on the cross, so we venerate the Holy Cross of Christ as the mean through which Christ, Who is the Way and the Truth and the Life, defeated death. We call the Holy Cross as "the Tree of Life" and "Life-Giving", it being prefigured in the "tree of life" mentioned in Genesis, and its fruits bearing eternal life.

Yes, it's true, you see a man on the cross.
I am Catholic and I believe in Jesus - how I believe in God.

See my reply above. BTW, if you are a Catholic, how it comes that the best image for your Easter that you found was that of a rabbit?!

Last edited:

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
BTW, we, Eastern Orthodox, in our Pascal Hymn sing the following:

Christ is risen from the dead,
trampling down death by death,
and on those in the tombs bestowing life!

Mar 2018
USA
What you see is Someone Who defeated death through His death on the cross, so we venerate the Holy Cross of Christ as the mean through which Christ, Who is the Way and the Truth and the Life, defeated death. We call the Holy Cross as "the Tree of Life" and "Life-Giving", it being prefigured in the "tree of life" mentioned in Genesis, and its fruits bearing eternal life.

See my reply above. BTW, if you are a Catholic, how it comes that the best image for your Easter that you found was that of a rabbit?!

What do you mean by image, and I didn't eat an Easter rabbit, but I did post the story of the anchor from the Catholic Encly. Did you read it? Lets say I'm a very progressive RC, and I also do not believe in the virgin birth.

Look at the new NABRE 2011 bible and read the footnotes in ISA 7:14.

Jesus was entombed and raised on the third day according to scripture, so he is dead on the cross. That is where he died so the story goes.

I guess I ate from the tree of knowledge. :) Why not the cross for the first 4 centuries?

Similar History Discussions