Leyte Gulf

Mar 2019
Kansas
Some of those destroyers were so decimated it is hard to imagine how they continued to attack, knowing that they were going to do so only to die, but just perhaps save (as they largely did) the Jeep carriers and transport ships of the invasion fleet.
Well by that stage of the war, US damage control had reached superb standards. They could almost keep a colander afloat :) Another factor I have occasionally seen mentioned was the excellent discipline the crews displayed. No matter how much damage the vessels suffered they seemed capable of continuing a cohesive attack.

Nov 2019
United States
Well by that stage of the war, US damage control had reached superb standards. They could almost keep a colander afloat :) Another factor I have occasionally seen mentioned was the excellent discipline the crews displayed. No matter how much damage the vessels suffered they seemed capable of continuing a cohesive attack.
Quite true but the read about how those destroyer crews survived their ships sinking is an amazing story. I so truly wish more would read that book, it is truly a great book and read. Not for nothing has it won so many historical literary awards. It breaks my heart, and fills it, reading of their heroism.