LGBT lessons in schools

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I haven't looked in great detail, but from what I've seen in news reports here the teaching hardly delved into sexuality. Obviously an adult would know the sexual implications of a 'two-mummy' family, but those details are not presented to the children. I think it's more that families with two mummies or daddies are included along wit families of various colours, families with single or disabled parents in awareness of the variety of such things in modern society.
As was quoted from the National Curriculum earlier "to identify and respect the differences and similarities between people".
That might be the stated aim, but the links Cepheus posted seems to suggest that the No Outsiders programme is disproportionately focused on LGBT issues. But even that is not necessarily a problem.

As I said before, and as I'll repeat now, 5-7 year olds are much, much too young to have adult social issues foisted upon them. They're too young to understand them, and if they have picked up prejudices, it'll be from the adults around them. I said it before as well, it's not the children who need lessons.

They're being used as tools for political purposes here and to further one teacher's ambitions. They should be allowed to enjoy their childhoods.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
That might be the stated aim, but the links Cepheus posted seems to suggest that the No Outsiders programme is disproportionately focused on LGBT issues. But even that is not necessarily a problem.

As I said before, and as I'll repeat now, 5-7 year olds are much, much too young to have adult social issues foisted upon them. They're too young to understand them, and if they have picked up prejudices, it'll be from the adults around them. I said it before as well, it's not the children who need lessons.

They're being used as tools for political purposes here and to further one teacher's ambitions. They should be allowed to enjoy their childhoods.
Is the program disproportionately focused on LGBT issues, or is the person who wrote the article disproportionately focused on LGBT issues?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Is the program disproportionately focused on LGBT issues, or is the person who wrote the article disproportionately focused on LGBT issues?
Is it difficult to believe that there are those who would use a captive audience of 5-7 years in public schools to inoculate them, as one poster stated?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Even though It would have irked me (to a lesser extent) , the principle could have asked if we celebrate "Eid" and "how" if the answer was "yes".

I chose not to be offended because it was harmless and not negative in nature which is why I always have believed that being "offended" is almost always "a Choice" in most instances.
That is a different and indeed harmless question... Asking someone who appears to be from a certain group (granted one can be annoyed to be associated with said group just because of one's looks or name... though this association may not stem from any bad intent) about the practices of that group seem to me quite allright (although before asking such a question I personnally would first ask the person if they belonged to said group). But of course it all depends on HOW the question is put... Asking someone whose name has a french ring
"so how do you cook your frog's legs" can really annoy the person (even if they are in fact french)...but asking first "are you french" ? and then asking "is it true that frog's legs are a popular dish in France" should not irk anyone

However implying that someone MUST attend some religious event (or even a non religious one) is deeply invasive.. Its really nobody's business if one wishes to attend or not any of these events...

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Is it difficult to believe that there are those who would use a captive audience of 5-7 years in public schools to inoculate them, as one poster stated?
Considering that schools are more and more used for indoctrination by interest groups (as opposed to indoctrination by the state) and sometimes by individual teachers pushing their own agenda, its quite possible

In Belgium for example there are several hundred imams and teachers employed to teach arabic and islam in school.. The idea was a good one to start with, until it became clear that this group was infiltrated by islamists who were teaching extreme versions of islam... And so instead of bringing muslims into belgian society they were doing the exact opposite. This is by no means an isolated example, and interest groups, whether religious, political, racial, or otherwise abound...

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
The program, based on the links to the program's contents itself.

ESRC GRANT PAGE / OVERVIEW: No Outsiders: Researching approaches to sexualities equality in primary schools

No Outsiders: Researching approaches to sexualities equality in primary schools | ESRC | Economic and Social Research Council

FULL REPORT w/ link to pdf (see "files" for pdf):

No Outsiders: Researching approaches to sexualities equality in primary schools | ESRC | Economic and Social Research Council

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Yes. This, despite the organisers of the program saying that it teaches "diversity".

Dec 2015
USA
I cannot find a way to change my views on this either,and they are diametrically opposite to yours. Homosexuality is in my opinion a matter of behavior, not of status. It is fundamentally different from « race »—that is, skin color—,religion, national origin.
David to each their own of course my friend. That being said it appears that bigoted parents are an extreme minority in United States to the way I look at it if we take their kids away it’s actually a very good day

Remember we are talking about bigoted parents here what there’s perhaps a few of them in the United States. It’s my own opinion that parents who are anti-LGBT should not be parents I just don’t see anything wrong with that viewpoint again to each their own of course

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Remember the quotation referred to differences and similarities - isn't the point of such 'awareness' to recognise the similarities beneath the apparent differences?
eg because this family has only one parent, or a disabled one (etc etc), they're still people with interests like other people, like you kids.
As you say, he may have two mummmies, but still 'wants to see the game'.
Unless some tells me that he or she has some sexual proclivity or other, I will never know it and I don’t want to know it. It is none of my buiness. Based on my experience, children accept everything as normal. I lived next door to a pair of lesbians when I was growing up and didn’t know it until I was in my 20s and someone told me. To me, they were just a couple of women who lived next door.

Similar History Discussions